Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Finalizing Research Question

“What are the effects of women in politics in America?” Today we see women excelling and making tremendous impact in our Society. Women have come along way and have made remarkable achievements such as gaining voting rights, people of color are now able to use public transportation, being court Judges, achieving a sexual harassment act and of recently attaining the position of Vice President of the USA and the list can go on. Women have also been balancing their domesticated duties and striving for these senior positions in the field of work quiet well and should be proud of these political achievements and should not let it end here.

In my attempt in finalizing my research question I will show some effect that women have in politics here in the USA. In this article https://www.chathamhouse.org/2019/03/rise-women-us-politics we see quite a few women who have made significant contributions to politics just from behind the scenes like Amy Pope she stated “I see this as the silver lining of the Donald Trump presidency. It’s similar to the Anita Hill hearings in 1991 – who was grilled by a Senate judiciary committee when she alleged that she was sexually harassed by a Supreme Court justice nominee. Many women were angry about the way that she was treated during those hearings and a number of them decided to run for Congress and won in what was called ‘the year of the woman’ in 1992. Amy went on to say that with Trump’s rhetoric about women and the allegations that he sexually assaulted and sexually harassed women – all of that has driven women to realize that if they don’t get involved, then things won’t change” and as a result woman have realized they need to be part of the conversation and put forward their names for elections. 

Another person is Stacey Abrams she spoke about Electoral politics and refers to it as a lagging indicator of social and demographic change. Abrams also stated “We have seen not only more women coming into the body politic through the 100 years of suffrage and the 45-year history of the Voting Rights Act but an increased opportunity for participation because of their inclusion in the workforce and in leadership positions. The more the opportunity for leadership has grown, the more it has translated into electoral power. We have an increasing number of women – especially women of color – in mayoral positions, and each time we see this increase, it galvanizes others to believe it’s possible for them too.” As I proceed with my essay I will show more of the effects of women in politics in America.

1. Ruth Garcia

Just remember that this is not an essay. You’re finding information to answer your question and you’re gathering that information in a document.