Victoria Powell

Quote 1: “These DCs have acquired many abbreviations and acronyms as well as some special words and phrases that are needed in order to get their jobs done more quickly and more efficiently—terminologies that are not used, nor even often understood, by the general public.” 

This quote is basically, black slang in a sentence. An abbreviation that we use would be called AAVE, professional terminology: African American Vernacular English. Many people in the black community use short terminology and phrases in order to get their point across

For example: You’re having a conversation with something about a preacher at a church and you haven’t noticed. The average person may say “He has been a preacher for some time now.” The AAVE term will be “He bin a preacher” noticed how the “been” is shortened, however, it still gets the point across that the preacher has been around for some time. 

Quote 2: “I know which codes to use for the photocopier, and where to find certain office supplies, and so on. However, when I travel to another university for a conference, I do not know any of these things and, unless the signage is excellent, I will probably soon get lost.” 

I feel connected to this quote because this displayed an example of how out of place people may feel when it’s not something that you’re used to or familiar with. What I found interesting about this quote was the university example given. 

Three discourse communities that I participate in would be Local, Folocal and “Folocal”. I would use local for people that I’m used to speaking with and people that would better understand what I’m saying as far as terms and abbreviations. Folocal would be for the people that wouldn’t really understand those terms , in which i would be more likely to use full sentences and “Folocal” would be the professional side, for when business meetings.