Subway Portraits

I can see the similarity between the Subway Portraits taken during the Great Depression and those of the faces of subway riders today.  From what I can tell, the looks on those photographed and the looks of the commuters i see everyday, is that we are just trying to get from point A to point B.  What happens between point A and Point B is simply this, you swipe your metrocard , a reminder of the ever raising fares for services that does not change,a variety of people from all different points of life, all with their own story, each with one thing in common. Everyone is subjected  to the  confines of a tight space, lined with rows of seats and the sharp unpleasant noise of metal wheels on metal tracks. It is a coexistence that takes place in a given time frame, granted there is no delays , which there always are, searching for a smile in a sea of faces, hearing several different conversations, child’s being loud, babies crying,the overall the ultimate test of patience and tuning out everything into background noise.  You have time on your hands, time that can be spent on taking a nap, listening to music, reading a book, thinking about your problems, that exam you need to study for, those bills that need to get paid and what have you.  Now if I were to discreetly photograph the people i see on the train, it would be no suprise to me that their expressions are of those commuters some 80 years ago.  Although the fasions may change,the trains may change, the state of our country may change, those expressions on subway commuter’s faces may not.