Attention to detail
Every single one of us brings an abundance of knowledge from our own life experiences. Some of our experiences and backgrounds are similar, but there are just as many differences. These facts can lead to stimulating conversations. We have a lot to learn from one another. In fact, the success of this course depends on every individual contributing their ideas and perspectives to our online discussions to facilitate a positive learning environment. First we need to set some ground rules or norms that will foster the kind of online space where engaging, respectful, and thought provoking discussions can occur.
Create our Community Norms
a. What kinds of behaviors make people feel like their ideas and contributions are valued and respected in an online discussion?
b. What kinds of behaviors make people feel like their ideas and contributions are not valued and
respected in an online discussion?
Read through your peers’ comments about respectful and disrespectful online communication.
b. Based on what has been identified as respectful and disrespectful online discussion behaviors, propose one guideline or norm that would contribute to an environment in which we can have meaningful and respectful online discussions.
c. Post your guideline to our Community Guidelines discussion board inside blackboard. You can post a new guideline or suggest a revision/addition to a guideline you already see posted. You are free to make comments on any posting, but please do not delete anything that someone else has posted.
Handling a difficult posting
When a colleague posts a response that is difficult to read or you feel is a misstep; today we will determine how we handle this as a group.
- Do not edit the post, notify your professor.
- Your professor will determine if the post should stay up or be removed. No-ones grades are affected by the outcome.
- Your professor will reach out to you and the poster to discuss: What emotions are you experiencing? Are you angry? Frustrated? Disappointed?
o What story has led you to these emotions?
o What facts do you have that support this story?
o Can you retell this story using the evidence that you have? What information is missing?
- Because the information was posted in a group setting we will discuss the content at our next class meeting. We will talk about how the posting effected the team.
- Create a plan of action moving forward with new information and understanding about the content and how we interpret and update our community norms for the future.
For this assignment you will work with a team of students or alone if you are working asynchronously. Go to blackboard and click on the discussion tab. Select the community norms topic. Inside the tab are three threads.
- Please take ownership of your work. Put all team names with each post.
- One write one positive behavior thread. Your job is to add an appropriate comment from your team that is an example of a positive behavior example.
- Two write a negative behavior thread. Your job is to add an example or describe a negative comment your team thinks is not helpful if someone posted.
- Present your comments to the class and why you chose them.
- As a team create a community norm guideline based on what you learned from your first two posts and add one new item on the guide line thread that supports your ideas.