Week 6 – Wed. Oct. 6th

Homework Due Wed. Oct. 13th

**NO CLASS MONDAY**

1. Read “Is Google Making Us Stupid” by Nicholas Carr and write response to the questions in a comment below.
    • What did you think of this text? Explain! Don’t worry if you don’t like it, you won’t hurt my feelings! Be honest! 
    • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even! 
    • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
    • Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
    • What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    • So what does Carr think, is Google making us stupid? How does he explain it? 
    • Now what do you think? Do you agree or disagree?  

2. Find 2 sources for Project 2. Prepare to share key information in class.  Write down your sources in a comment below. Make sure to write the COMPLETE bibliography information for the source if you can!

3. Look carefully over our discuss on how to come up with strong research questions. Do some brief background research on your topic. Maybe read the Wikipedia page on your topic or see what Google says when you first search your topic (these will not be your sources or your information, but will help you get thinking!) Think about using who, what, where, when, why and how to help you get your questions started. Remember the questions cannot be too broad or too specific. They should help you figure out where you are going to go with your research! As you come up with questions, write at least 5 of your research questions on this form

Research Questions

1. Khalil Adams

I thought the article was interesting to read and think about.

The writer explains how the internet is making us dumber by giving us such easy access to technology. This easy access to quick info has reduced our ability to digest longer or bigger pieces of information if it’s not simplified like it is on the internet.

The text is an informative article.

People who have also noticed or been curious about the influence of the internet and more specifically google.

He wanted to help shed light on how google has negatively impacted our lives.

He does believe that google has made us accustomed to being spoon fed information. He explains that google has made information so easy to get and simple to read that we have difficulty when not relying on it.

I think he’s right and that a balance of using the internet is the best way to utilize it as opposed to an over reliance.

2. Christopher Lopez

1.I think the text was very interesting and made me think a lot about myself as a student.
    2.The text is mostly about how Google and just the internet in general is making us dumber because we use the internet as our primary source of information. Us having that technology at our fingertips is affecting our ability to read books and other long pieces of reading.
    3.The genre of the text is an informative essay.
    4.The intended audience of this piece is people who use the internet as their main source of information.
    5.The purpose of the text is to inform us that getting this information easily from the internet is impacting in a negative way.I think he wrote it to tell us that the internet is making us dumber.
    6.He thinks that the internet is indeed making us dumber.He explains It by telling us that we got too comfortable just getting us easy information, then having difficulty when we don’t have access to it.
    7.I think that what he said is true. I agree with him because we have gotten lazy with the ease of the internet at our fingertips.

• Saida Akbarova

I agree internet has taken over most things in our lives, we went from looking up questions in books and researching to googling everything now. Which is why it is making us stupid and more lazy.

3. Christopher Lopez

4. Gerardo Molina

– I thought that the reading was alright but I felt that it dragged on for too long to make it fun or nice to read in one sitting. I found it ironic that I kept getting distracted while reading and found it hard to read it all in one sitting when part of the article was on that issue caused by the internet. I liked the call backs to similar times where history has repeated with a new medium that change humans forever.
    – The internet and it’s rise is responsible for a change in human behavior and how we treat knowledge and how we attain it. We have been used to the speed of the internet and thus beginning to skim over information and relying on it to be available with a button and not worrying much about it. ” The net distributes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles.” was the way described by the author.
    – The tone is formal and with a genre of non fiction
    – I think everyone who has been on the internet reading or getting information should read some of it and get to know the basic gist of it. Its intended for the youth who are on the internet a lot
    – It was made to spread awareness and call attention to something that is becoming the norm and can have some serious lasting effects later down the line.
    – He believes that humans are becoming more reliant on Google and it has made out brain skim on the surface rather than dive in deeper. He thinks that we are more thinking like robots and AI rather than the fluid abstract way humans have thought.
    – I can agree that the internet has spoiled the way we get out information and that it can have some bad side affects but I don’t think that we are thinking more like AI. I think that the internet is overall a good and even if it has some negatives that can come out of it over the long term it , the same can be said about paper and the typewriter. The new mediums of knowledge have kept pushing humans to more and more lengths. However I feel that when I am older I will think like that author on the new form of medium and think that its something that be best left untouched and that has been the same for almost anything new and the previous generation.

• Abdul Ikhlaq

I agree with you, the article was kind of unnecessarily long.

5. Abdul Ikhlaq

1. I found the text to be long. It was somewhat fun to read but most of it bored me and found myself yawning a lot.

2. The text “Is Google Making Us Stupid” written by Nicholas Carr summarizes that we have made ourselves comfortable with gaining our information online rather then reading books. Nothing wrong with that but she proves her point that we can’t sit and read a book silently without distracting ourselves many times. On page 2 she states ” Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m dragging my wayward brain back to the text.” This quote states how Nicholas provides her experience when it comes to her reading a book. She states how she would lose interest and find herself forcing to read. Nicholas brings up a point ” Research that once required days in the stacks or periodical rooms of libraries can now be done in minutes.” She brings up the past how people would gather there information from books and staying at the library. That was long ago and technology just gets better each day. Research that would take hours to do takes minutes now. That’s because we have normalized the internet as our source of study and why libraries now have the latest/fastest computers.

3. The genre of the text is an informational essay. The tone I get as I read the text is formal. As I read the author Nicholas Carr is explaining how google is used as a primary source these days.

4. I believe Nicholas Carr wrote this piece for those who use google. Everyone now a days uses google when doing research on certain topics. Google is the number 1 search engine. Making her point that when it comes to reading books physically we get bored because we are used to locking our eyes on the screen.

5. Reason why Nicholas Carr probably wrote this text was to bring attention to something that we thought was helping us but at the end just weakening the human brain. Nicholas Carr states in the text “what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation”. This quote states how retrieving information through the internet is immediate access to rich information. Saying that the internet is taking away our way of focusing and staying concentrated because you can pull out information instantly.

6. Nicholas Carr throughout his writing piece is explaining us how the internet is making us more brainless. In the text Nicholas Carr states ” But it’s a different kind of reading, and behind it lies a different kind of thinking—perhaps even a new sense of the self”. This text states that even though we are reading and retrieving information online we aren’t thinking deeply as we would if we were to read out of a textbook or book physically. He then states in his research “reading promoted by the Net, a style that puts ‘efficiency’ and ‘immediacy’ above all else, may be weakening our capacity for the kind of deep reading that emerged”. This quote clearly states how reading off the internet weakens our capacity to attain information rather if we were to read from a physical book.

7. I somewhat agree but also disagree. At the end we are living in the future and everywhere you go whether it’s the grocery store, gym or even food carts on streets. They are all surrounded by technology. Technology is the era we are living in and there is no running away from it. Tech jobs around the world are also classified by having the highest paying salary. That being said, gathering our information for papers and researches we do are going to be based off the internet. Everyone claims they don’t have time. Going to the library and looking for a certain book can take a while. Even if you ask the librarian then told that you will have to order the book and will arrive in a couple days. As to you just searching the book online and getting access to it in seconds. Its the era we live in today but could also be scary in a way to how easy and fast we can access anything through our finger tips.

6. ngawangtenzin

1. I found to think this text was very long and I can relate to some parts of the text about technology.
    2. This text is mainly about the internet making us more dum because the author states ” And what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplating.” that is basically is what the title telling us. We get distracted easily because we always go to the net when we are looking for the answer instead of reading the books that we are assigned by teachers.
    3. The Genre of this text is informative and the tone is persuasive
    4. The intended audience for this text is people who use the internet and for academic purposes.
    5. The purpose of this text I show people how the internet is making us more stupid. We are relying on the net too much when looking for information and that is making us lose out focus.
    6. Carr thinks that goggle is making us more stupid. Carr talked with a blogger about goggles making them stupid and the blogger also agreed with Carr. Carr also tells us about other people losing the ability to read more.
    7. I think I agree with Carr. Goggle is making us more stupid and we rely too much on the net when we are looking for answers.

7. ngawangtenzin

8. ngawangtenzin

9. ngawangtenzin

10. ngawangtenzin

11. ngawangtenzin

12. ngawangtenzin

13. ngawangtenzin

14. ngawangtenzin

• Xenia Berkowitz

I agree that we as a society have become too dependent on the net when it comes to finding information.

15. ngawangtenzin

16. ngawangtenzin

17. Saida Akbarova

1) I really liked reading this text even though it was a bit too long it was still really interesting and I could relate to it a lot. I feel like the point was already explained in the first 4-5 pages but it kept continuing on same idea. However, they put lots of evidence like famous writers who also had similar issues.
    2) It is about how websites has made us not want to read anymore because everything is now available on the internet and that google is making us stupid since we aren’t really learning as much. Any questions we have we can just google and it will provide us with all of our questions. Before websites when people had any questions they would look up on books which made them read lot more books. It states in the text, “They typically read no more than one or two pages of an article before or book before they would ‘bounce’ out to another site.
    3) The genre of the text is informative and tone of the text is formal because he was very thorough and direct with the readers.
    4) The intended audience is people who have similar struggles where they cant focus on reading articles and books and rather look it up on sites. Students, writers and other people with similar struggles are meant to read this.
    5) The purpose of the text is show people that they are not the only ones going through this issue because the author gave lots of evidence of writers who had similar struggles. Carr wrote it to show how google is making us stupid and we should not always rely on google answers but should also educate ourselves by reading books and articles.
    6) Carr thinks that google is making us stupid because people are losing the ability to want to read, people who loved reading and got into writing now rather use websites which takes away all fun of wanting to write. He explains by giving examples of writers facing similar struggles because of websites.
    7) Yes I agree because when I did not know much about internet my hobby was reading books even if it was fiction, now I rather be watching movies instead of books. Books are better since you use your brain to do all the imaging and thinking but in movies all you do is just watch.

18. Tehmina Imanat

1) I think this text was very long but it was interesting to read and see a different perspective on how google/internet can affect us people.
    2) This text was mostly about how the constant use of the internet and google has impacted people in a negative way. People have been struggling to read books because of how easy the same information can be found on google faster and in a paraphrased way. As stated in the text, “The more they use the Web, the more they have to fight to stay focused on long pieces of writing” this shows how our ability to read long texts and lengthy books is high being impacted in a negative way because of the advances of the internet use.
    3) The genre of this text is informative writing because the author Nicholas Carr is informing his audience with research and deep studies. The tone of the text is formal because the author is straight up with his points and argument.
    4) I think the intended audience of this piece is people who rely on the internet and google too much and fail to see how deeply their stamina is being affected poorly. Students, writers, teachers, and even parents that are on the internet to read and haven’t picked up a book in a while.
    5) I think the purpose of this text is to show research and studies in a long text for the people that are depended on google to find all their reading and information on. I think the author is encouraging their audience to read more books and lengthy readings on paper rather on google to build their attention span and stamina.
    6) Carr thinks google is making people too depended on it, he believes its causing people to lose their ability to read actual books because people would rather chose reading shorter and quick information online rather grabbing a book and that is effecting everyone negatively.
    7) I agree because I fall in the group of people that would rather go on google to find my information or to read rather picking a book to read but after reading this lengthy text made. me understand how poor my stamina and attention span is because I have been so used to quick and easy readings on google.

19. Xenia Berkowitz

I thought this text was really interesting because it made me realize that I was in a similar boat, skimming information and never really taking it in or contemplating the material. I like how he compared reading physical texts in depth is like being a “scuba diver in a sea of words” and how getting information from media is like being in a jet ski surfing through the internet without being fully immersed in the content. This analogy put a visual in my mind that helped me understand his argument.
    This text is mostly about how the internet is good because it is a vast source of information that makes it ten times easier to do research and find information however it warps our minds so that we never really process the information. It is about how not only the way read has changed, but also how we think has changed.
    The genre of the text is nonfiction and the tone is direct.
    The intended audience of this piece is people who mostly consume information from google and the internet in general.
    The purpose of this text is to show the detrimental effects of consuming information from the media. The author wrote this to tell his audience how we become distracted and unfocused because of our tendency to consume information from the internet.
    I think the observation really changes the way I view media. I agree because I have the same issue where I expect to absorb information just as instantaneously as it is put out on the internet. Having google at our fingertips really eliminates the opportunity to think critically and instead gives us a platform to ask the internet all our questions without actually thinking about them and understanding why we are asking them.

20. Kaylee Castaneda

I actually enjoyed reading the text. It was something different and it just really showed how the internet has changed us as a whole. I liked how the author made the article interesting as well by adding facts and his opinion as well.
    This article is basically Carr giving his insight on how the internet has changed us and how we are driven by it so much that we have adapted to its ways. This means that we rely on it so much that that is all we use on a daily basis. He says how we went from getting our information from books to google and that’s all we use.
    The genre is opinion based and informational as well. It is showing how the internet has influenced us and how we can even sit and read a book any more as we used to. The tone is very outspoken and it shows how his opinion can really make people see his point of view.
    The purpose of the text is to show people that the internet has influenced their life in a way where our brains have been driven to using it all day. The author wants us to see that the way we are functioning is not normal and is not correct. That our brains are not good for being adapted this way.
    Carr thinks that google is making us stupid by getting answers quick and and not thinking ourselves. He says that people would get the easy way out of things and since google gives you the answer you want always it makes us super dependent on it rather then reading a 20 chapter book.
    I totally agree with what he thinks because its the truth whether we like it or not that is how we are adapted now and the way we will be from now on.

21. Noman Saleemi

I thought the text was interesting as it shared the ways the internet is impacting our brains to not be able to read through article thoroughly and shared the different examples.

It is mostly about the internet being a place to gain the answer to anything you may need. But, it also has its cons such as building bad habits such as skimming and not reading everything through.

The genre of the text is informative and the tone is serious.

I think the intended audience is the youth and provide examples of the effects of using the internet as a way of gaining your knowledge and research.

I believe the purpose is to inform the youth to not get too dependent to the internet as it can cause you to lose you mental capabilities of things such as reading through a whole article. I believe the author wrote it to inform others of his challenges with reading and the effects of surfing for information on the web.

Carr explains “google making us stupid” as a way of expressing that using the internet is deteriorating our reading capabilities and making our attention span a lot shorter.

I agree because the internet is a great place of researching and learning what you need to learn, but because we are so used to going through so many articles each day and adapting to the habit of “skimming”, I believe it has affected us in negative ways.

22. Travion Burke

What did you think of this text? Explain! Don’t worry if you don’t like it, you won’t hurt my feelings! Be honest!The text was cool, I can someone relate to certain parts of the text like the part when the author said that people now tend to skim and have lower reading spans. It made me think about myslef, i do not like reading long passages at all i prefer the smaller ones .

What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even! The article is mostly about how the internet is making us dumber by affecting the way we think due to easy access to the internet. For example the test states” they found that people using the sites exhibited a form of skimming activity, hopping from one source to another…they typically read no more than one or two pages of an article” this quote relates to the argument because using the internet creates bad habits that are effecting reading among people, it cuts down on a good percent of thinking and connection you have to do while reading a website in comparison to reading a physcial copy of a book. These habits such as using only the internet to read or do research helps people develop a bad habit of skimming through readings which can shorten their attention span when it comes to reading.

What is the genre of the text? What is the tone? The genre of this text is personal opinion because people can infer otherwise about the authors beleifs about the intenet. It is not proven that the internet is making us dumb. The tone is Informative and persuasive because the author is trying to get us to beleive that the internet is making us dumb.

Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text? The intended audience would be anyone who has access to the internet and uses it for research purposes. The author would probably be targeting people who reads using the traditional method because his article is lengthy and he would infer that someone who uses the internet alot would skip right through it or skip the entire article.

What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    The author is trying to convey that the internet slowly destroys the traditinal way of doing research. He belives that the internet does not give you a challenge and does not require the same amount of thinking when researching something the original way(going to the libary or reading a physcial artcile) so he conclude it makes you dumb.

So what does Carr think, is Google making us stupid? How does he explain it? When Carr used the title “is Google Making us Stupid” he is saying that we do not think for ourselves or do anything ourselfs anymore. He believes that effortless research make us lazy which is why we grow bad habits and tend to have short attention spans when it comes to reading.

Now what do you think? Do you agree or disagree?
    Honestly i disagree, the internet is what you make of it. You have a choice wether to read the full article or skim through it. with the internet humans are able to become way more inteligent than any other generation has ever been. We can find information and learn new things with the click of a button. Various things on the interntet may be distarcting but it is up to your strong will to prioritize your time that will keep you on task.

23. Shariffe Mckennon

I found the piece interesting because it was just a person expressing his thoughts on how the internet made him change his reading process which was very interesting but it was very lengthy

This text is mostly about how the convenience of the internet can change a person’s process of thought. In the piece he explains that his mind now starts to take in information faster, expecting to just be a short piece to jet ski through and not long paragraphs.

The genre of this piece is an informative essay, the tone was an informal tone as he wasn’t trying to make the piece too serious because the language he uses is more informal, trying to engage the readers.

The intended audience of this text is people who spend a lot of time on their devices, they are the ones who need to see what the internet is possibly doing to them.

The purpose of the text is to maybe give a warning to those who spend lots of time on the internet and social media, a warning that it can be altering your thought process when it comes to reading. Always having the answer short and sweet by the snap of the finger.

He does think that google and the internet in general is affecting our ability to process long information, he does this by explaining his experiences with the change in process and our people who have experienced the same thing, example Bruce Friedman, explain how he lost his ability to read long pieces “Even a blog with more than three or four paragraphs is too much to absorb, I skim it.”

I agree because i find myself doing the same think, when im doing homework i find the shortest and most convenient piece for help with a question and not long articles that could give more details because i cant handle it.

24. mahdi ahammad

honestly, I thought that this text was a bit too long but i was able to relate to the author because I myself lose focus on reading a long paper and tend to skip out on a lot of information.
    This text was mainly about how easy access to the Internet begins to affect our ability to read books and other long pieces, we lose our attention span and our ability to think deeply about long pieces of text.
    the genre of the text is informative because it tells us information about how we are conceiving less and puts a worrisome tone by having us feel worried pr scared that having access to the internet is hurting us.
    The intended audience of the piece is people who have access to the Internet so they can see how it’s affecting them in a bad way.
    I think the purpose of this text is to show us or more generally people who have a hard time understanding and reading long pieces that are coming to Google or the Internet for information makes a slower.
    he main point the author, Nicholas Carr is trying to make is that as the internet becomes our primary source of information, it begins to affect our ability to read books and other long pieces.”
    I personally agree with the author because having such easy access to information makes us lazy as well as a brain to the point where reading long pieces or long pieces of information becomes troublesome for us so we rely on short simple answers from online

25. unijah montes

To me what i did not like about this read was how long it was, and i dont like reading things for to long. But overall it was pretty good it was informative but i think the down side might be that its based off of one opinion. Not everyone feels the same as the authour such a person is me. I feel like having such ability is great is much easier and very helpful and useful, I dont think hes familair with the time were in. Its a digital world now either join that world or be left. I dont think our abilities to read is exceeding to be honest if anything everybody is evolving