Week 8 – Mon. Oct. 18th

Homework Due Wed. Oct. 20th 

1. Read “Backpacks vs. Briefcases” by Laura Bolin Carroll and write a response to the questions on OpenLab
    • What did you think of this text? Explain!  Be honest! Did you find any parts interesting? Did you learn something new?
    • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-3 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even! 
    • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
    • Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
    • What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    • What are some examples of rhetoric that you see or hear on a daily basis?
  2. Write bibliography entry for all 4 sources and complete the 5Ws and 1 H for EACH SOURCE to determine if the source is credible!

5Ws and 1H to Determine Source Credibility

Source 1

Who is the author? Are they recognized as experts on the topic? Or are they just claiming to be an expert on the topic? How do you know? Do they have a degree or expertise in the area? Who is the publisher? Is the publisher well-known or reputable?
    What is fact or opinion in the text? What are the main ideas, arguments, and claims? Are the claims backed up with sound reasoning and evidence? Do you agree with the ideas in the text based on your own knowledge? Can you find other credible sources that confirm the same information?
    Where does this information in the piece come from? Are the sources cited and referenced? Where do the hyperlinks in the piece take you? To other reliable sources or to ads or questionable sources?
    When was the piece published? Is it up to date / relevant?
    Why did the author/ producer publish this? Does the author appear to be selling something? Is there an obvious agenda or bias? Sometimes it's okay for there to be bias in a piece, but it is important to recognize it for what it is.
    How is the material presented? Is the text well edited and free of errors? Is the formatting well designed and professional looking?

Source 2

Source 3

Source 4

1. Abdul Ikhlaq

1- As I started reading “Backpacks V.S. Briefcases” I liked how Laura Bolin introduced the topic of analysis. She states ” Imagine the first day of class in first year composition at your university.* The moment your professor walked in the room, you likely began analyzing her and making assumptions about what kind of teacher she will be.” I relate to this because being a freshman in college and seeing my professors online have me making assumptions based on what I see at first glance. Especially now that they are in the comfort of there homes. I learned what rhetoric analysis means and it is the way you make someone think about you.

2- The text “Backpacks V.S. Suitcases” written by Lauren Boil is about how us people make assumptions daily, and that it is important to implement rhetorical analysis in our decisions we make daily. An example Lauren Boil gives is social media. She states that social media is one of the biggest platforms we should use rhetoric analysis in because of the advertisements and marketing. In the text it states ” Media is one of the most important places where this kind of analysis needs to happen… Media is constantly asking you to buy something, act in some way, believe something to be true, or interact with others in a specific manner. Understanding rhetorical messages is essential to help us to become informed consumers, but it also helps evaluate the ethics of messages, how they affect us personally, and how they affect society.” This quote shows that social media is proposing something new everyday for us to believe is true. The way they market whether it’s through a video or message, is up to us how we act and take in the information. Using rhetoric analysis is what helps us being a consumer and the away we evaluate the message.

3. The genre of the text is informational essay. The format it is written and the information Lauren Bail presents us using dates, recent research and liable sources. The tone I get as I read through is assertive. She writes with confidence in getting her message across.

4- The intended audience is for everyone. Mainly for the youth because we are more vulnerable to falling into commercial traps because of our limited experience.

5- The purpose I believe Lauren Bail is getting across is to be wiser and rhetoric when making decisions / assumptions. Now a days we can look at anything especially on social media and feel down of ourselves because we’re watching someone live their “best life”. Then these ads are just meant to target those with low self esteem and confidence making us feel worst. The text it states ” We are also told by the media that buying more stuff can make us happy, but historical surveys show that US happiness peaked in the 1950s, when people saw as many advertisements in their lifetime as the average American sees in one year.” This quote clearly shows that a recent study proves people in the 1950’s were much happier than us Americans now a days. Because of the fact that they didn’t see much of the advertisements we see today. Social media is what triggers this jealousy emotion in our heads and is why we aren’t living our days brighter than we should.

6- Being rhetoric is the way we persuade others. Examples I see everyday where rhetoric is displayed are political speeches, billboard ads, news stories, television commercials, and everywhere on social media.

2. Tehmina Imanat

1) I think this text was very informative and eye-opening, it made me realize how much we use rhetorical analysis on a daily base. This text was also relatable because I always seen myself “judging” or “analyzing” one’s look/surroundings when I first meet someone new.
    2) This text was mainly about the importance of rhetorical analysis and explains how how rhetoric is used to make everyday conclusions and decisions. As stated in the text, “Each day we meet differ- ent people, encounter unfamiliar situations, and see media that asks us to do, think, buy, and act in all sorts of ways. In fact, our saturation in media and its images is one of the reasons why learning to do rhetorical analysis is so important” this shows how social media has influenced us to quickly believe everything we see is true because of how fast us humans evaluate everything, therefore we have to stop and think about how we are getting persuaded to avoid being mindless consumers.
    3) The genre of this text is informational essay because the author discusses real world examples and situations with facts in her argument. The tone of this text is direct and formal because the author was very straightforward with her examples and reasonings.
    4) I think the intended audience are younger people that easily get influenced on social media or other sites that require more analysis before making a final decision.
    5) I think the purpose of this text is to explain how to get better at correcting our daily assumptions and judgments that fall into negative things, but rather thinking a decision clearly by using the proper rhetorical analysis. The author wrote this text to show another perspective about social media and how it influences everyone in a negative way.
    6) Some examples of rhetoric that I see or hear are billboard ads, television commercials, newspaper ads, political speeches, and flyers.

3. Xenia Berkowitz

I thought this text was really helpful because it gave me a better understanding of what warrants and limits ones rhetoric. It helped me understand how all media and advertisements are rhetorical because they respond to some issue for a specific reason.
    This text is mostly about how rhetoric responds to a problem and how the media persuades us through rhetoric. It is how we judge things based on the context and how corporations capitalize off and exploit our insecurities. It is about how “most of our actions are persuasive in nature.”
    The genre of this text is an article or essay and the tone is explanatory.
    The intended audience of this piece is students learning how to write rhetorical analyses.
    What do you think is the purpose of this text? Why do you think the author wrote it?
    The purpose of this text is to explain the components of rhetoric such as exigence, or purpose, audience and constraints which “limit the way discourse is delivered or communicated.” The author wrote this text to show how we make judgements based on context and how everything we do is persuasive and rhetorical in nature.
    Some examples of rhetoric we see and hear on a daily basis is what to wear based on where we are going or who we are seeing, like if we are going to an interview.

4. Travion Burke

The text “Backpacks V.S. Briefcases” by Laura Bolin was interesting. When she demonstrates that even I use rhetoric analysis on a daily basis without even realizing it by providing an example that is relatable it pulled me more towards what she was saying. I found the text relatable because when I see someone I assume what type of person they are based on their clothes, looks, and how they speak.

The text is about the importance of rhetorical analysis and the way we carry it out through our daily lives. As we know it is not nice to judge something by its cover but when you think rhetorically it can come off as a form of indirect communication or a way to help you make decisions because life is full of making decisions. The text “Backpacks V.S. Briefcases” by Laura Bolin states “You probably think about what your clothing will communicate as you go to a job
    interview or get ready for a date. You are also using rhetoric when you
    try to persuade your parents to send you money or your friends to see
    the movie that interests you.” When going to a job interview or place of profession you make a decision on what to wear because of how people will interpret your image. You are thinking in advance on the look you will give off which informs people about you, this can be seen as rhetoric communication because if you show up in shorts and a tank top to a business place that would be seen as unprofessional vs you going to the pool where it would be seen as normal.

The genre of this text is informative I say this because the author gives us many reasons and examples as to how we use rhetoric analysis on a daily basis. He also digs deeper into how thinking rhetoric is very important when it comes to making decisions as a human being. The tone of this text is content he gets to the point and supports his argument.

The purpose of this article is so that people are more aware of the decisions they are making. The author shows us how we can properly use rhetorical analysis and talks about how it can benefit us and he does this so that the next time the readers have to make a decision they think deeper by using rhetorical analysis to get the best outcome possible.

I think fashion is rhetoric because people are influenced by clothes people wear in this current day in age.

5. Christopher Lopez

1. I thought the text was very fascinating. I didn’t even realize that on a daily basis we use rhetorical analysis. I believe It’s true though , when we see or meet someone new in our lives we make assumptions about their appearances, tone, and attitude.
    2. The text is mostly about how rhetorical analysis is used in our daily life. An example in the text is media. When Laura Carroll said “Situations and draw informed conclusions, the better we can become about making savvy judgments about the people, situations and media we encountered”.
    3. The genre of this text is an informational essay. The tone of the text is formal and straight to the point.
    4. The intended audience of the text are people that lack analysis skills or people that become easily influenced by social media.
    5. I think the purpose of the text is to explain to us what rhetoric analysis is. I think the author wrote the text to show the different ways that the media affects us in a negative way.
    6. An example I see everyday is on social media. People make assumptions and think they know you by what you post.

6. ngawangtenzin

1. I think this text was interesting at the beginning but at the end, it started to get really boring. I could relate to some parts of the ext like making assumptions of new people that we meet and in the text, they tell us experiments done by professionals on rhetorical analysis and that is interesting.
    2. This text is mostly about rhetorical analysis and how we analyze the person that we meet through our life. Lof of things is contributing to the assumptions that we make of people. In the text, it states “The more we know how to analyze situations and draw informed conclusions, the better we can become about making savvy judgments about the people, situations, and media we encounter” that quote tells us the more information we look into the better we can become in making conclusions. Social media also plays a big role in this text because we use social media to make assumptions about different things by looking at ads and social networks.
    3. The genre of this text is informative and the tone of this text is persuasive
    4. The intended audience of this piece is all people and students who can use this text if they are writing about rhetorical analysis.
    5. The purpose of this text is to inform us about rhetorical analysis and what is it. People make assumptions every day about different people who by using social media and different networks to come up with conclusions.
    6. an example that I see every day is looking at different stories on social media and when I go outside and see people wearing different clothes I can come up with assumptions.

7. Saida Akbarova

1. I thought that this text was interesting but it was really long to read. I could relate to about noticing everything about someone such as a professor on the first day because usually when you have never see someone or met them before you tend to notice everything about them, how they talk and dress.
    2. The text is about rhetorical analysis, we observe many things about someone when we first meet them that we usually don’t notice as much when we know them already. It states in the text “Our worlds are full of these kinds of social influences. As we
    interact with other people and with media, we are continually creating and interpreting rhetoric.” (page 47). Media is one of the places that we usually see the norms from to how to dress and be like to certain situations and that also affects us when we first observe someone.
    3. The genre of the text is informative and the tone is formal the text looked very professional like she knew what she was talking about she had many evidence to back it up.
    4. The intended audience is teens or anyone in general who are influenced and get their daily intake of information from social media because it affects how we observe people.
    5. The purpose of the text is to show how much social media and magazines and new trends are changing how we see people or ourselves. We usually text to follow trends that we see on social media now and it is not always good because sometimes it can make us feel like we have to be certain type of person like in media. That also affects how we observe someone because people tend to judge someone for having to look different then how people are dressing now.
    6. Some Rhetoric things that I see is on social media like Instagram because you see many different people wearing clothes that is on trend right now, as well as magazine or in advertisements, televisions.

8. Kaylee Castaneda

I felt that this text basically explained our way of seeing how we analyze the world around us in a different perspective. I liked how the author has a hook in the beginning that really captivated my attention and made me want to continue reading.
    The text is mostly about rhetorical analysis and how it is an important part in writing. The author also gives examples throughout the text saying how a rhetorical analysis is used on a daily basis. The first example that she gave in the beginning of the text stated that on the first day of class people May analyze how the professor asks what they are wearing, how they talk, how they express themselves and how they teach the lesson to give a feel on how the professor might be throughout the semester. It’s a way of analyzing cuts without an e background but it’s saying not to judge a book by its cover. in a way I can relate to this because if I meet someone for the first time I would analyze how they act and what they’re wearing and little details like that to give me a feel on how they are as a person but usually this may not be the case and it might change perspective on how they are and how they act.
    The genre of the text would be considered to be informative. This can teach readers more about the importance of rhetorical analysis.
    The tone can be considered to be objective since its main focus is rhetorical analysis prompts.
    The purpose of this text is to show writers the importance of rhetorical essays and to not judge a book by its cover.
    Some examples of rhetoric that I see on the daily can be in advertisements in youtube videos and on the tv. Nowadays it can be found in politics as well and in the media.

9. Shariffe Mckennon

I really find this piece to be interesting because it talks about how the use of persuasive language in our daily lives can shape us if we are not aware.

This text was about the use of persuasive language in our day to day lives. It can be dangerous to us if we are not aware of when it’s being used. We can change our perspectives about life and our goals because what we see advertised to us is shown as the proper way to live.” if we refuse stop and think about how and why it persuades, we can become mindless consumers”

The genre of this text is an informative essay because of the way she asks the readers questions as the piece goes on, trying to start thoughts in the reader’s head. The tone is a formal tone.

The intended audience of this piece are people who are easily influenced by the media or society. People who are easily influenced can learn from this piece to better understand how to take hold of their life and live the way they want without having to be persuaded by the society or media’s views on success or happiness.

The purpose is for people to learn how rhetoric is being/ can be used on us and how to understand the ways they persuade us and also show how we use rhetoric in our own lives daily without even knowing. The author wants people to understand rhetoric and how it is used by everyone, everywhere.

Examples of rhetoric seen everyday for me are youtube ads always presenting the different games and newest products each having their own style of wording and phrasing to attract their target audiences to buy their products.