In the text “A promised Land” president obama talks about his moments in the white house. he explains what he loved the most for example the west colonnade and the same walk he took for eight years. Obama says “It was where each morning I felt the first slap of winter wind or pulse of summer heat; the place where I’d gather my thoughts, ticking through the meetings that lay ahead, preparing arguments for skeptical members of Congress or anxious constituents, girding myself for this decision or that slow-rolling crisis.” Also obama says “Sometimes the guard would be holding back a surprised flock of visitors. If I had time, I would shake their hands and ask where they were from.” Here he goes into detail about his 1 minute walk from home to the office by describing the weather and things he would occasionally  do on his way to the office.  In the words of Obama “As a kid, I’d hear from her about civil rights marches, and why the Vietnam War was a misguided disaster; about the women’s movement (yes on equal pay, not as keen on not shaving her legs) and the War on Poverty.”. Although obama’s family was not very political but his mother was different and full of strong opinions.