Cooper Hewitt Museum Trip

I visited the Cooper Hewitt Museum on November 2nd 2016.  img_9823During this visit the museum had a lot of exhibits on display but the three pieces that have interested me are from: Energizing the Everyday: Gifts from the George R. Kravis II Collection, Hewitt Sisters Collect, and Models & Prototype Gallery.

SLICE ARMCHAIR, 1999 It is dated 1999. Its medium is laser-cut, assembled and laminated plywood. Designed by Mathias Bengtsson and produced by Mathias Bengtsson Studio.

SLICE ARMCHAIR, 1999
Designed by Mathias Bengtsson and produced by Mathias Bengtsson Studio.

This fist piece is from the Energizing the Everyday exhibit.  It is dated 1999. Its medium is laser-cut, assembled and laminated plywood.  I found this piece very interesting because I actually know how to create something like this.  The technology for laser cutters have advanced a lot since this chair was created. Usually the process for making this would be to create a 3D model then break it down into layers then cut it.

RIALTO BRIDGE BIRDCAGE, LATE 19TH–EARLY 20TH CENTURY Its medium is painted wood, bent metal wire, metal.

RIALTO BRIDGE BIRDCAGE, LATE 19TH–EARLY 20TH CENTURY

This piece is from the Hewitt’s Sister collection.  Its medium is painted wood, bent metalwire, and metal.  The bird cage reminds me of the the cages that my parents used to have and give me to play with when I was younger.  The design of the cage is very intricate, the wire is twisted into coils that says very consistent through out the bird cage.  For the size of the cage small finches would most likely be in these cages.

STAIRCASE MODEL (FRANCE), MID–LATE 19TH CENTURY Photographer: James Hart

STAIRCASE MODEL (FRANCE), MID–LATE 19TH CENTURY

This piece is from the Model & Prototype exhibit.  Its medium is carved, joined, turned, bent, and planed oak.  This is absolutely beautifully crafted.  The wood that is being used is a very hard wood that wont bend easy unless the wood is high temperatures and steam.

This entry was posted in CDMG1111, Coursework, Field Trips, Homework. Bookmark the permalink.