Richard Avedon & Jonathan Mannion

Richard Avedon is a legend. The New York Times said that “his fashion and portrait photographs helped define America’s image of style, beauty and culture for the last half-century”.  All of his photography is black and white and is compose against a white background. He has captured lots of celebrities which includes Andy Worhol, Marylyn monroe, isek Dineson etc.  Avedon was always intrigued by peoples expression and reaction.  That is exactly what all his shot consist of.  With minimalistic approach he captured the subject reaction up close.

Johnathan Mannion on the other hand is both a photographer and film director.  He made a lot of cd covers and most of his shots like Avedon are black and white. Being that he was Avedon’s student a lot of his styles was an influenced to his.  Eventhough most of his work is colorless he is very good at positioning his subject to describing of what they are about and who they as an artist, actor or singer.  He has a talent of pacement and capturing emotions.

One thought on “Richard Avedon & Jonathan Mannion

1. rmichals

What you wrote is very general. its hard for me to tell if you looked at the work of these photographers from what you wrote. I do appreciate that you cited your source about Avedon but I am making this assignment so that you will look at the work and make your own observations. I would suggest using specific examples with your own observations.