When I was reading through the different articles about public domain stories, I came across Winnie the Pooh. The public version is very different from the Disney version that we all know which is why I think it will be a fun challenge to come up with my own version of the story without it looking like Disney’s version.

In the last two years, we have seen different versions of Winnie the Pooh all without being sued by Disney. I would want to make a version of the well known bear that retains his family friendly kind hearted personality but instead of living in the forest, he’s a bear looking kid living in the city. It would kind of be like Frog and Toad where everyone respects Winnie and knows his name. I think given the chances of being sued by Disney for including a shirt, Winnie will continue to be a naked yellow teddy bear like AA Milne’s version.

By keeping many of the well knows features of Winnie the Pooh while also now depicting him living in the city, I think I am going to be able to modernize the story while still staying true to who he is. My references for my rendition of Winnie the Pooh would be Cartoon Network’s We Bear Bears, Frog and Toad (Apple TV+), and the original character created by AA Milne. The story will still be for kids but make more sense for today’s kids. The new generation of kids like reading stories such as “Dog Man” and “Amelia Badelia”. Both of those stories have different environments and various conflicts. The new Winnie the Pooh would have a story structure like the ones used in those books.