Laura Carroll- Backpacks vs. Briefcases

Examples of rhetoric I see on a daily basis are on news channels and social media platforms that write reports and talk about public figures or whomever, such as the presidential election.I create rhetoric when I give an opinion about a certain matter, and then from there, spawns a conversation. I’m trying to convey a message of understanding and support for a subject, if my rhetoric is oppositional, I am sharing it with you so that you can have a different perspective. In my sophomore year of highschool I was in Model U.N. The basis of the program was to come up with solutions to issues that countries around the world are faced with. With those solutions you also had to convince your peers that it would work and resolve the problem, to then vote upon your resolution to get it approved. Time was of the essence, the board of directors are watching everyone, and sometimes resolutions do not get passed. The genre of this piece is an informational text The intended audience would be students, because the text talks a lot about social media and gives statistics on how students academically perform on the top of page 53 in bullet points. The purpose of this text is to show how rhetoric is used by and around students. For example, on page 55 it says, “Once you have established the context for the rhetoric you are analyzing, you can begin to think about how well it fits into that context.”

1. Rebekah Coleman

Lorenzo,

Great! I love that you were in Model UN! How wonderful! I would love to hear more about your experience. I think you really have a great understanding of rhetoric and how its used.

Rebekah Coleman