Reading Response Week 11

“Reflective Writing and the Revision Process: What Were You Thinking?” By Sandra L. Giles

Please read this text and write a response. What suggestions about reflective writing does she make that you found interesting or helpful? What did you learn from this piece? What did you think about it? At the end of the semester we are going to write a long Final Reflection that asks you to look back over the whole semester. How could this help you as you write the final reflection?

Here is the reading assignment:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13sIdyP1SLrxMX5dNKf-6DBR3QgPIyaU6/view?usp=sharing

1. Shaniyah

This was a very interesting article. I never looked at reflective writing the way I do now. This article took a interesting argument in the reasoning behind reflective writing. For example this idea of a cover letter which is a letter where writers explain to the reader, the thought process they went through, the intended audience and what the main point is. While writing this cover letter you can use it as a checklist to make sure your writing actually follows what you intend the for the reader to learn, or take away. For example in your cover letter you might write that you intend for the reader to take away how important it is to study. Although when you are actually reading your article you might not have included enough supporting details and evidence to effectively prove the importance of studying. You have to make sure whatever you promised to readers in your cover letter you actually include in your writing. So we see the cover letter reflective writing benefits both the reader and the writer. Reflective writing is very important when you are trying to put forth your best work. It ensures all components of a strong writing to be included. Reflective writing can make it easier to analyze and critique your own writing. It can be used in other classes too, because writing is used everywhere. Eventually it will be a huge self reflecting tool for becoming the best writer you can be.

2. Shaniyah

3. Shaniyah

4. Shaniyah

• Rebekah Coleman

Excellent! I love that you focused on the importance of the cover letter and the role that it plays in presenting yourself/ your message! I also am glad that you enjoyed the article! I think reflection and the reflective process is SO important!

Warmly,

Rebekah Coleman

5. Joscar

The author Sandra L. Giles wrote an amazing piece about reflective writing and gave the reader important information on how to write your own reflection. She mentioned that “stopped worrying about how to please the teachers, and started actually reflecting and thinking” this is a good subjection that some students should follow in order to get a good reflection. As the student I am something that I learned from this writing is that Sandra was how to write a letter, it sounds weird learning how to write a letter at this point but is not that what I mean. What I actually mean is the proper writing and what not to put on a letter to be exact, students tend to just put things in their writing because it sounds good. This is something that I myself should take in consideration for my next letter or any writing. I think this a well educated piece from Giles, she mentioned a lot of good examples on how to write a reflection and what not to do. At this moment I don’t know how this might help me when the semester is over and I have to write a reflection but hopefully by that time i can see how it might help me.

• Rebekah Coleman

I am SO glad that you found this piece not only interesting but also possibly helpful. I like that you highlighted the line about how she “stopped worrying about how to please the teachers, and started actually reflecting and thinking.” That is SUCH an important point!

Warmly,

Rebekah Coleman