Malcolm X “Learning to read”

What motivated Malcolm X to read was the fact that he felt uneducated and uncapable to write his letters that he wanted to. He saw himself as some one who even though looked up that should stop him from educating himself so he took on reading some books here and there but he soon began to realize he wasn’t even able to write not even in a straight line. He decided to take a dictionary and copy it word by word and when he was done he read the words back to himself. As he spent more time in jail he began to take up an educational class in the prison to be able to further his studies of reading and writing. Malcolm began to get into books about racism and how it was affecting and affected people to this very day due to the fact he began reading because of Mr. Muhammad and his struggle. As Malcolm read on he begins to see the struggle the African community went through having to do with slavery so he grew his reading skills and began reading more and more growing his mind on this topic to the point were he would only get 3-4 hours asleep a night but to him that’s all he needed because he had less on the streets.

To me in my opinion I think Malcolm X wrote this article to show that no matter what circumstance your put in even if you are locked up learn from that situation and speak your mind and never stand down for what you believe. I think that Malcolm wrote this article for minorities who are going through the struggle to show them that you should never back down always keep on pushing ahead for what u believe in and don’t allow some one to tell you your wrong. In my opinion I think this piece was very educational and very eye opening. If i had to compare this article to the other two we have read before i would have to say that this piece shows the true meaning of turning struggle into success.

1. Rebekah Coleman

Dear Elijah, thank you for this thoughtful response. I love how you really focus on what motivated Malcolm X to learn to read and the benefits beyond literacy that he gained by reading and writing. In particular, I like this description: “Malcolm began to get into books about racism and how it was affecting and affected people to this very day due to the fact he began reading because of Mr. Muhammad and his struggle. As Malcolm read on he begins to see the struggle the African community went through having to do with slavery so he grew his reading skills and began reading more and more growing his mind on this topic….” I also like how you think about his intended audience and purpose. Thanks!

2. Rebekah Coleman