Amy Tang “Mother Tongue”- Reading Response

When Amy Tan writes, “Recently, I was made keenly aware of the different Englishes I do use” she is referring to the fact that she has different ways of speaking, some more advanced than others. For example, she, later in that paragraph, says “the forms of English I did not use at home with my mother.” Tan is referring to the extensive use of vocabulary in the speech she gave, to which her mother was able to hear while in the same room, but never heard from her during their conversations. When Amy Tang uses the term “Mother Tongue” she is referring to the English that her mother speaks.  “Some say they understand 80 to 90 percent. Some say they understand none of it, as if she were speaking pure Chinese. But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural. It’s my mother tongue. Her language, as I hear it, is vivid, direct, full of observation and imagery. That was the language that helped shape the way I saw things, expressed things, made sense of the world.” This quote explains how Tang’s mother’s English impacted the way she viewed life. Amy Tang explains “I was ashamed of her English. I believed that her English reflected the quality of what she had to say That is, because she expressed them imperfectly her thoughts were imperfect. And I had plenty of empirical evidence to support me: the fact that people in department stores, at banks, and at restaurants did not take her seriously, did not give her good service, pretended not to understand her, or even acted as if they did not hear her.” She also recalls events of her youth where she had to impersonate her mother over the phone when speaking to certain people. Her perception of her mother’s english started to shift as she got older, because she began to understand that knowledge and understanding is not defined by the way one speaks, if that way is still understandable, but not held to a certain standard. Amy Tang also explains that “This was understandable. Math is precise; there is only one correct answer. Whereas, for me at least, the answers on English tests were always a judgment call, a matter of opinion and personal experience.” Amy Tang also explains how “English could not be considered my strong suit,” so she resonated with her mother more because of this. She knew her mother was a very intelligent woman who knew how to fight for herself and stand her ground. Amy Tang wrote this article to show people that even if they are subjected to a certain standard by someone other than themselves, it doesn’t matter, as long as they themselves know and have faith in what they know and can do. Tang is an author, so her intended audience would be her readers. The way I speak is dependent on who I am speaking to, but most of the time I try to speak in a proper form with everyone, even my friends. With this practice, speaking proper would become natural and fluent, while others may have trouble speaking a certain way.

1. victoria shuster

When reading this article I realized how peoples’ words and languages can affect the way people see them. Growing up, my whole life I was surrounded by people who were in a way, just like me. I come from a small community that doesn’t really consist of different ethnicities. Reading this article, “Mother’s Tongue” things were kind of put into perspective for me. I never realized it might be hard for people to be understood and sometimes they might be looked down upon for their race. Amy talks about how due to her mother’s weaker English, she was considered a minority and wasn’t given the attention a person deserves. Just because her mother’s English isn’t fully complete she was pushed to the side. For example, the Hospital lost her CAT scan and wouldn’t give her their time by looking for it and giving her the information she deserved. Once her daughter called and spoke to them in her normal English they decided to help her. Tang is trying to spread a message by telling her audience not to shrink down to the lower level people place them in. Everyone should embrace who they are and have the confidence in themselves to be who they want to be and never let anyone belittle them.

• Rebekah Coleman

Victoria,
      I love the way that you describe how the article changed your perspective/ point of view on how ” how peoples’ words and languages can affect the way people see them.” The personal example you provide is great!

2. Rebekah Coleman

Lorenzo,

I love the quotes that you selected for this piece! I think you did a great job explaining how Amy Tan defines the term “mother tongue.” I would love it if you could discuss this more with us in class today! Be more specific about her intended audience. What readers in particular do you think she might be writing for? Think about her message and who she might hope would hear that message. Thanks!