Donald M Murray: All Writing is Autobiography

Donald M. Murray makes the claim that all writing is autobiographical. He starts off with describing the many different forms of literature he’s written and stating that he is still the exact same person regardless of what he writes or what the topic is about. He uses a poem that he wrote when he was 64 and used his childhood memories to create this poem and uses that to further back up his belief that all writings are autobiographical. On page 67 he states “I have my own particular way of looking at the world and my own way of using language to communicate what I see.” which he uses to back up his claim as he is saying it’s his own way of writing using his memories to create his writing style. As he wrote this poem he remembered a childhood memory he had and didn’t really think about until he was writing this poem. He also further explained that writing autobiography can be a form of how life was, is or can be. He then follows up with another piece of literature using a lot of descriptive words that make it easy for the ready to visualize what is being read and although most of it is not true he state that it still autobiographical. He backs this up by stating, “We become what we write.” His unique view on the world and writing basically states that as long as we are the ones writing it, it is an idea from ourselves which is usually based off of real life experiences or what we want life to be like making our writing autobiographical.

I understand his claim and where he is coming from, however, I must disagree with his claim. This is because although most authors have a connection with their writing not ALL writing is directly connected to the author. A lot of literature have utopias and dystopias and they don’t relate to an author but it’s more of an “If life we’re like this, It could possibly turn out like that.” which leaves no ties to a person, or their life but it’s more of them getting creative and using your imagination.

1. Rebekah Coleman

Bryan, Great response! I love how you really looked closely at his argument-that all writing is autobiography- and chose great quotes to look at to examine his claim. I particularly like when you quote: “We become what we write.” And then you add: ” His unique view on the world and writing basically states that as long as we are the ones writing it, it is an idea from ourselves which is usually based off of real life experiences or what we want life to be like making our writing autobiographical. ”

I also love how you then disagree with him, and present a strong argument as to why not all writing is autobiographical! I would love to have you share this point of view with the class during our next discussion! Thanks!

2. Joscar

The author’s point of view in writing is peace, he relives his childhood memories when he writes about his past. The writing is autobiographical because Murray believes that we should stop limiting ourselves and just write what you have in mind. What makes writing autobiographical is telling your personal life. People tend to write a memoir for future generations and others for personal interests. The author did not sway me into changing my perspective in anything especially when it comes to writing, to me writing is not my strong subject and I feel like writing your personal life for the entertainment of others is something I wouldn’t want to do. But as a human being I do like to tell people my personal life(emotions,ideas,my perspective)that’s to a certain degree of trust. If I’m honest I don’t think the author could’ve done anything to persuade me just because I understand his point of view but I don’t feel comfortable doing autobiography. None of my points are strong enough to challenge Murray’s point of view because he is right about not putting any barriers to your writing, he wants us to write freely. Lastly, I do find myself incorporating autobiographical aspects in my writing, as writers I tend to say my what and how I feel without letting the reader know I’m talking about myself. I make it seem as if I’m talking about someone else.