HW1: Photography, Social Media and Art

Example of an Instagram post of visitors snapping selfies at an art installation, National Gallery of Victoria, Australia

For our first homework, you will need to create an account on the OpenLab. To get started follow the directions on the OpenLab’s Getting Started Page and to learn how to post your homework, please review my Posting Homework Guidelines located above.

The objective of this homework is 1) to familiarize yourself with creating a post on our Openlab website and 2) to consider the use of photography in social media and its impact on art.

What do you think of the use of social media in relation to art? Skim this CNN article that explores the effects of social media on art and culture. The author is primarily writes about the prevalence of selfies on Instagram and its impact on the world of art. According to Google, users uploaded 24 billion selfies during the first year of the launch of Google Photos. Selfies have become a vehicle for the spread of culture.   (If you have trouble with the hyperlink, use this url: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/instagram-installation-art/index.html)

First read the article hyperlinked in the passage above. Then write and submit a 200-word post to share your thoughts on photography, social media, and art with your classmates. Some points to think about include, do you use social media, do you take and share selfies or photos of art, do you look at social media to help you decide where to visit?

Homework #1 is DUE on Thursday, February 8 by midnight.

This entry was posted in Homework and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW1: Photography, Social Media and Art

1. KBAKLOUS says:

Photography is a special bond between the camera and the artist to express their vision. Everything we do that attracts us starts with our vision; if we see something yummy we want it, or something shinny we need to buy it. Therefore, photography is an art quality, production and expression. The photographer is creating the photograph. The camera records the image, but the photographer is the one capturing the emotion or beauty of the moment. Photography is art, that is a fact. Though beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some people don’t like that medium. Just because you don’t like it as much as, say, a painting, doesn’t automatically make it not an art form. Art is anything you create. It doesn’t matter if you made something out of nothing, or something out of something. If you made something out of nothing. Art, I believe is enhancing someone else’s perspective on things. Social media is a source to promote art because this is our modern day of marketing. Personally, I use social media like Instagram to post of photo of myself if I feel like my hair or make-up is done extremely good, so I just want to share it with my followers. What I believe that is considered art on social media is posting landmarks and sharing other artists work to spread the word because social media is a key to marketing these days. When I go on vacation I do rely on yelp or google to see images on good restaurants for refences since it helps market revenue for hotels and restaurants but that is not art.