ARTH1100 TU/TH History of Photography S2018

active 1 year, 4 months ago
Humanities
ARTH1100
Spring 2018

“I went into photography because it seemed like the perfect vehicle for commenting on the madness of today’s existence.” — Robert Mapplethorpe

This course surveys the history of photography from its beginnings in the early nineteenth century to the present. We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

Final Grades are Posted on Blackboard

Final Grades are posted on Blackboard and should appear on CUNYFirst soon. Congratulations on […] See MoreFinal Grades are Posted on Blackboard

Hw3 Cristina Chenault

Walker Evans took these photographs in the subway. He used a hidden camera in his coat so the […] See MoreHw3 Cristina Chenault

hw 4 Cristina Chenault

I believe  that the photography is not staged and that Robert Capa did took the photograph right […] See Morehw 4 Cristina Chenault

It's funny how a picture like your can create a hankering for iced matcha latte See More

I totally agree. I also found Hardtack very interesting and how it was used to starve off hunger […] See More

i love pizza also, who doesn't. how about that Hawaiian pizza ? See More

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.