One of main projects of the semester will be to create a type book that each student will be able to use as reference as they continue their graphic design studies. The book is created using InDesign and consists of a variety of exercises.
The lecture for the day included a demonstration on creating and using multiple InDesign documents.
- Creating multi-page documents
- Using the Page Panel
- Working with Master Pages
If you need a little help with InDesign, here are couple of video tutorials which may be helpful.
InDesign 5 – How to Work with Pages
Working with Master Pages – InDesign 6
In-Class Lab & Homework
In class we begin a 5-page document which should be completed and turned in on Monday, Feb 24. The instructions are as follows:
- Create a 5-page document using the 5-column grid we set up in class.
- The 5th column of each page will contain the following:
Families of Type
—Name of family
—Characteristics (at least 2)
—Name of the font used
- Use the first 4 columns as your art area.
- Using the name of the famous person you selected, create an interesting composition with caps and lowercase or all lowercase type
- Use lines and basic shapes to make your composition interesting.
- Do 1 page for each of the five families of type.
- Create a new composition for each family
- Save your file as follows:
- Then save the file again as a PDF (which will be submitted) with the same name.