A topic that I would like to discuss is on the history and duration of the time when lobotomy was popular. I got a bit invested in the topic after I came across the wiki page for Rosemary Kennedy after going down a rabbit hole. Just the idea that “I” can be modified by having my brain squished and that I might have gotten one if I existed at the time gave me some chills.

I’d expect to find more horrifying and sad stories about people who’ve gotten a lobotomy. Additionally, I’d personally believe that some people got a lobotomy not to cure their mental illnesses but to make them easier to handle since a common effect of a lobotomy is that they become lethargic. The main proponent of the procedure, Walter Freeman, is also a complicated and interesting individual who wanted to cure mental illness before there was other effective options of managing them.

If I find information that it had some positive effects of lobotomy (because they aren’t suffering from what they were diagnosed before which was the desired effect) I would also like to add that to explain why many people thought that it was a good idea. But it will be difficult to add that to my speech when a decent chunk of it is dedicated to the horrors of it all.