"Game On, Python!"

Baldwin – Giancarlo Forero

James Baldwin is trying to open the idea of an open-minded learning environment. He wants students to strive for a deeper understanding of the topics that there learning and embrace their curiosity. The phrase “the world is larger” just means that answers aren’t finite and that if you truly want to understand something, you must expand your knowledge further then just a quick google search. There are so many other ways to learn and understand something, but it must start with the student’s curiosity to ask questions and to be wrong about something. That way they will truly reflect on their mistakes and grow from it, this method can only increase your curiosity.

‘The Guardians’ article on this topic further encourages the idea of embracing curiosity. It states that “school kills curiosity” and I believe that this is unfortunately true. Ellen C. Carillo’s “Navigating The Perfect Storm”, delves into this idea greatly when she explains that most schools expect their students to follow and praise what they learn instead of questioning it. The guardian’s article further adds to this idea with countless amounts of research to support the idea that once a child enters his first few years of school, his curiosity decreases. Kids are meant to just learn in one way, and that method doesn’t include asking enough questions. For me personally, I can say that this is true. Most teachers I grew up with brushed off my questions as ignorant because I didn’t understand the reading from the beginning. This only led me to build a habit of not wanting to learn, because to me I always thought that if I couldn’t understand or agree with something after reading it, then I was just wrong or dumb. However, James Baldwin encourages that students should ask questions in hopes of being wrong because that way they can strive to find the right answer for something their curious about. Your more likely to understand something you want to learn, as opposed to something you were told to learn.

It was my curiosity behind computers that lead me to want to learn more about them. I personally wanted to learn about everything digital, and although my older cousins kept telling me I was wrong, or I was too young to know, I still continued to search. It was through my mistakes where I found my understanding, and with that, I only became more curious to understand the topic better. By researching questions, you can build a path towards a better understanding. Whereas if you look for a linear answer, you will only find yourself being discouraged for never finding something that might not even exist. A good student should learn the idea of ‘wanting to learn’, and they do this by exploring their questions and mistakes.

1. Akash Patel

Wow, I enjoyed reading your writing and knowing some interesting thoughts. I really like it when you talk about Ellen C. Carillo’s “Navigating The Perfect Storm” article which tells the reader the differences and similarities that they have in their ideas. However, I am wondering what makes students build their curiosity about something? You make a good point in your second paragraph when you stated about yourself, I agree with you because I went through the same situation as you did, when I started my school in the U.S I was a bit afraid in reading things because I was struggling in reading as well as understanding it.

2. Ria Arora

I totally agree with the fact that answers aren’t finite. As you grow, explore and learn you will find different answers from different places for a thing. Also, curiosity is definitely an important thing in order to grow. But, I wonder if it is the only thing/feeling that one should have in order to grow or reflect on mistakes? The second paragraph seemed really interesting to me. It clearly shows your ideas as well as conveyed what you felt during your learning age then! “It was through my mistakes…understand the topic better.” This line really stood out to me from the third paragraph. I am somewhat like this too!! 🙂

3. Muhammad Nasar

I totally agree with your thought where you explain about “it must start with the student’s curiosity to ask questions and to be wrong about something. I also believe the same that students should have the confidence to ask questions even though it doesn’t make sense because that way students get a strong desire to answer the questions and to ask the questions which will help the student to solve their own mistakes instead of asking help from others. These things can help the student to increase curiosity instead of killing it and they will have self-confidence in themselves and a desire.