"Game On, Python!"

Baldwin – Xuefeng Zheng

First of all, what James Baldwin was saying that he would like to open students’ “eyes” to see more. When he said, ” the world is larger”. That means, the knowledge not just from the book or school. Also not only from teachers. Students should feel curious about the world, about everything they don’t know. To see, to listen, to feel, and to do. So they will grow up.

Secondly, I think The Guardian article is correct. However, it is not a hundred percent correct. The school did kill curiosity.  Students only learn what the teachers and books tell them. What I think is, this is not a very bad situation. When kids grow up and have their own judgements of what is right or wrong. They actually need teachers to teach them. And the teachers have to be the teachers from school or kids’ parents. Before that, they will accept all the information that society gives. Whatever is good or bad. That’s why so many kids get on a wrong road, just because they didn’t accept the right things and tight education. So, I admit that school kill the curiosity from kids. At the same times, this is a protection for them. Before the “pure” being polluted.

Third, when I was little, I am a very naughty kid. I interested in everything I don’t know. Like how TV works?  How was I created? How do video games work? I just want to know everything. Even though I know that can’t be done. So sometimes I go to ask people, sometimes I do the research in the book or online. Once I know more, I have more question. And I believe it is a good sign. Finally, why should we start researching with questions rather than answers? What I want to say is questions in front of the answers all the time. How can we know the answer if we don’t even know the question? Just like students can’t do the homework before the teacher gives them homework. It is a rule about who should be first. Also, if you straight to get the answer, but not to understand the question. Answers will have no meanings. They are just words and numbers, that’s it.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Ah ha! I think you make a good point in saying that questions should go in front of, or before, answers. Do you think that always happens? What about people who think they already have the answer and simply go in search of support for that answer, and refuse to ask a question about whether that answer is correct or not? Ria makes much the same point you do, but she disagrees with the Guardian article; I’m not sure you two are that far apart, but you should take a look at her post and see if you have a comment on it.

2. Giancarlo Forero

I really like your second paragraph. I agree with the fact that teachers aren’t at fault for the school system. I really enjoy how you belive that teachers should build a direction for a students learning process instead of forcing them to learn something.