"Game On, Python!"

Intro

Hello everyone! My name is Giancarlo Forero, but feel free to call me Gian if you want to. I am 18 years old, I was born in Iceland but I’m not Icelandic.  My parents are from New York and Colombia, and my heritage is Hispanic.  The best word I can use to describe how I feel about online learning is “anxious”.   I am familiar with how most classes are formatted online, but there are a lot of new websites that I need to get used to using and that can feel overwhelming at times. It doesn’t help that my Internet could be affected by different reasons, at any random time (but it has been good so far, luckily). It’s also frustrating to not be able to meet my new classmates in person, but I’m sure everyone is understanding about the current circumstances affecting our world today.

Times Square - Wikipedia

The above picture is very important to me, because my whole life I’ve always had this huge infatuation with New York City.  What inspires me the most, stems from the city and I’ve always viewed it as the central hub for everything.   Unlike most of you, I only visit New York once per year.  Whether you are into technology, photography, art, movies, fashion, architecture, etc its all in New York City. For as long as I could remember, this was the place I knew I had to live in, I’ve always dreamed of working in the city in some kind of profession which includes technology. Maybe its all the bright lights and faces, but the city has always had a spot in my heart.

The name Giancarlo is Italian, which is funny because I’m not Italian. My father picked it for me just based on the way it sounds, and also because he has an Italian name (Giovanni). In fact, everyone in our household, even our dogs  (Napoli and Sienna) have Italian names. When I was little I hated my name because people often struggled to pronounce it properly and it made me feel different from the kids. However, as I grew up I started to appreciate it because it gave me this feeling of individuality from most people with common American names.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Such a funny story about your names! Italian name, Hispanic heritage, born in Iceland — you’re a young man of many elements :-). Just between us, although some people say this pandemic is going to kill NYC, I don’t think that’s possible — it’s been down before and always roars back. I’m glad you finally got here. And yes, we’re all in this together, technology and not really “meeting” each other and all. We stick together and we’ll be fine.