Below is an outline of all the components that make up our semester project. More details will be provided as the semester progresses, along with links to specific assignments related to each Deliverable. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!
- Begin playing with your puzzle individually. Students will complete an assignment exploring & experimenting with the puzzle (Bridges & Walking Tours), solving some examples and creating their own. Assigned 9/28/17, Due 10/5/17 (NOTE: exam scheduled 9/28).
- Class Commitment: 10 minute check-in on 10/3 to answer questions
- Deliverable #1 (5 points): Students will complete the assignment on the OpenLab (due at start of class).
- Continue playing with your puzzle in groups. Students will be notified of their groups in class and have an opportunity to explore their puzzles with their groups, trying each others’ creations and collectively inventing new examples as a group. In class 10/5/17.
- Class Commitment: 30 minutes in class
- Deliverable #2 (5 points group + individual): Groups will submit 3 new examples at the end of class, Individuals will complete & submit 5 minute written reflection on the process.
- Create a conjecture individually. Students will complete a reading illustrating the process of formulating a conjecture based on a puzzle. They will respond to the reading on the OpenLab, and will create a conjecture related to their puzzle to bring to class. Due 10/12/17 (START OF CLASS)
- Class Commitment: None, students will complete reading & respond on the OpenLab, (and bring preliminary conjectures on paper next week).
- Deliverable #3 (2 points): Individual conjecture (NOTE: OpenLab response is counted under “OpenLab” grade)
Reading – excerpt from “Mathematician’s Lament”
- Groups choose a conjecture to focus on. Students will share their conjectures in groups, refine & choose one conjecture to focus on. 10/12/17 in class
- Class Commitment: 40 minutes in class
- Students will bring preliminary conjectures to class for review (one per group).
- Don’t post these on the OpenLab, as I’d prefer groups to come up with conjectures without reference to other groups’ work.
- During class, groups will share & discuss their conjectures and together choose one (or formulate a new one) to focus on. I will work with each group to provide some direction and help refine their conjecture.
- Deliverable #4 (5 points group + individual): Groups will submit their final conjecture at the end of class. Individuals will reflect on the process (5 min writing), and also submit the preliminary conjecture brought with them at start of class.
- Work on proving your conjecture, individually and in group. Students will work both individually and in groups to try to prove their conjecture, keeping track of attempted strategies (“journal”). Journal, including description of group and individual activity, will be submitted by each student on the OpenLab. Assign 10/24/17, Due 11/2/17.
- Deliverable #5 (8 points): Individual journal submitted on OpenLab
- Group meetings w/ instructor (#1). In-class meeting with groups ~ progress check, make suggestions, etc. Revised Conjecture due after class, on OpenLab. 11/2/17
- Group meetings w/ instructor (#2). In-class meeting with groups ~ progress check, make suggestions, etc. 11/9/17
- Group paper initial draft. Groups will submit a paper describing the puzzle, their conjecture, and attempts to prove it, and reflecting on the process. Due 11/16/17 (NOTE: Exam scheduled 11/16, class doesn’t meet again until after Thanksgiving)
- Deliverable #6: Group paper submitted 11/16, to be returned by email 11/22.
- Group paper final draft. Groups revise paper based on feedback from initial draft.
- Deliverable #7 (35 points): Final draft of group paper (Grading Criteria). Due 12/5/17
- Group presentation. Groups will convert the paper into a 5 minute class presentation. In-class 12/5 and 12/7
- Deliverable #8 (20 points): 10 minute presentation, 2 groups per day.
- Individual reflection. Individuals will submit a reflection on the entire project process, including description of their own & others’ contributions. Due in-class 12/19.
- Deliverable #9 (10 points): reflection, due 12/19.
- Deliverable #10 (10 points): overall project participation, based on completion of deliverables, group contributions, etc.