NOTE: As a component of OpenLab #5, each person should bring to class a conjecture or question about the Bridges and Walking Tours game.
Group Activity (30 min). Get into your groups, arrange your chairs in a circle, and take 30 minutes to:
1. Each person should share their conjecture with the group. For each conjecture, the group should decide if they think it is true or false (or don’t know). The group should record their conclusion for each conjecture.
2. Choose one conjecture (or create a new one) to focus on as a group. Your goal for the next few weeks will be to try to prove or disprove this conjecture. Come up with several ideas about how you might prove it.
Group work due after 30 minutes: Each group will hand in a sheet of paper with the names of the group members, the date, and the following:
– Each member’s conjecture, along with a brief description of what the group thinks – is it true or false?
– Be sure to clearly indicate which of the conjectures the group has chosen to work on – or, if you have created a new conjecture to work on as a group, include that as well.
– Two different ideas about how you might try to prove the chosen conjecture.
Reflection: To be completed individually after group work is complete, and submitted on paper with your names and the date. Take 5 minutes to write on the following prompt:
Briefly reflect on the process of working in a group by responding to each of these points:
1. Describe something you learned.
2. Describe something you contributed to the group.
3. How did today’s work change your understanding of your assigned game?