Reflection Six

In last class, we watched the Ted talk by Elizabeth Gilbert. She talked about creativity and inspiration. I learned that creativity always come naturally. We should not push it too hard. She believed that everybody has a genius that will bring creative ideas. I kind of agree with that. And I know it rarely wake up.  When creative ideas come, we should write them down on the paper before they are gone.

Elizabeth Gilbert also mentioned that everyone has their own way to get inspiration. What I usually do is to look for what other people did. I would also look around the environment. There are so many different combinations in our world. They always trigger the “genius” inside me.

The genius rarely wakes up. I guess that is why I always got stuck. In class, everyone talked about in which stage they usually got stuck. For me, I always got stuck on getting the idea that satisfies myself. I know how to execute the idea and make it look beautiful. But getting a “good” idea is just so hard for me. I always try to make my design come with a great story. But not in a direct way. I always feel suffer on that stage.

Elizabeth Gilbert mentioned that we should not push that genius. Especially when we are stuck. I think that wakes me up. I totally agree with that. She said that she would afraid her work will not come out creative enough. I have the same feeling too. So I always push myself hard even when I am stuck. And the result always come out bad. We should take a break and stop thinking about what we are doing. We should always refresh ourselves.