Reflection Five

I remember that there was a period of time I was confused about graphic design and advertising design. I didn’t know what they are exactly about. I didn’t know which direction I should go with. But until I took the communication design 2, I approximately understood the different between them. In last class, I learned much more about the different in details.

Advertising agencies is basically about selling a product. They involved in marketing activities and public relations. A good concept is the most important tool to approach their goal. The concept is derived from marketing objectives and communication strategies. Concept would be presented to the audiences through media.

Graphic design also generate concept but more about execution. It turns concept into actual. There’s not as much emphasis on media buying or generating strategies. A graphic design studio is often in small size.

We also watched the speech by Stefan Sagmeister.  What I learned from the speech is the idea of making others happy with my own design. He showed some examples of how a designer made his own versions of the signs to make other people feel happy. I heard the laughers in class and I laughed too. I suddenly understand that a good design can actually affect others.

By learning from the last class, I am more determined that I want to be a great graphic designer. I hope I can create something beautiful, meaningful and powerful. I will work hard to make my audiences to have an emotion of satisfaction.