Reflection Four

From last class, I learned about the salary of being a graphic designer. And how different positions will earn different salary. The information are really helpful for me. They help me to set up my goal. I know where I want to approach now.

After graduation, mostly you will start as a junior graphic designer, your salary will be under $50,000. Then you will have to move up to be a senior graphic designer. Once you become a senior graphic designer, your salary will grow up to $50,000. After senior graphic designer, you can make your effort to be an art director. As an art director, you will earn $80,000 per year.

Always try to jump out to another company. That way you can ask for a higher salary as an art director. Jumping out to other company is a common thing in the graphic design firm. Because if you stay at the same company, even you got promoted to be the art director, the increase of your salary would be much lower than you jump out to other company.

Free lancing is also a good way to earn money. But first you will have to build up your brand. You will have to work on the networking. Networking is the most important source for your clients. And you will have to know to set up the contract with terms and conditions.  Projects under $2,500 require 50% the price as deposit. For grater price, you will have to make a proposal which has more details, terms, and conditions.

Also you can seek for more employment by working for a Creative Agency. But your work will be temporary. You will not tied to the agency after the term of your employment. You might be able to get $30 – $50+ per hour. If you do well, the agency might offer you the chance to work for them as a full-time designer.