Settling In

After a few weeks of settling into my internship, I can say that it’s going a little slow. In all honesty, that’s expected because we’re still figuring out how to go about the assignments and how me and my team can be of help to the Brooklyn College team. With that came our first assignment and that was to create a series of covers for the college’s “Strategic Plan Scorecard”. However, we had to adhere to the college’s branding which meant to use their fonts, colors, patterns, etc. The only part in which we were able to have some sort of creative freedom was to source hi res images of the campus. The images could be sourced from Google or any license free website. I’ve decided to go to Flickr, which is a site in which people can download free images and have access to public domain artwork/images.

Using this opportunity, I’ve decided to find at least three beautiful images of the campus that can be used for my covers. However, we had to be careful of the images we either took or chose because it can bring up legibility and color concerns. Images with bright backgrounds can impede lighter colors of type, which the college utilizes for their publications. After some minor tweaks of my covers with my supervisor, I’ve received an email saying that the provost of the college chose one of my covers as their final selection. There were also some little changes they wanted me to fix with my supervisor, but once that was done, it was ready to be published. This project took a few weeks to work on due to the amount of work/revisions I had to do, but it was fun nonetheless. Attached is one of my covers that was selected for publication. Note: There were some minor tweaks of this cover after.