Entry Blog #1 – Introduction

During the summer, I had a lot of time to figure out what internships to apply to and which ones could help me expand my skillsets further. I’ve applied to various internships which all ranged from paid, non-paid, or even work for non-profit organizations. Although, my goal was to find paid opportunities, I realized that not many were offering any for the fall semester. Therefore, I needed to figure out which places that I see myself the best in. Although, I’ve had many offers for internships, many of them were only in-person studios which interfered with me having to go to work. However, upon scrolling through COMD’s OpenLab Internship Coordination site, I found a post for Brooklyn College looking for design interns. I realized that they focused more in publications, which was definitely an area in which I wanted to tap more into. After submitting my portfolio, cover letter, and my design resume to the college’s coordinator, I’ve heard back from them within two weeks. Keep in mind this was during the middle of summer, so many of the staff were still on vacation.

After hearing from them on how great my portfolio and resume was set up, they gave me a formal interview. During the interview, I was asked where I see myself in design, my design experiences and where I would see myself in my career’s future. After everything going incredibly well, I was offered an intern position at Brooklyn College. Since I was working in the summer and with it being less work, I asked my internship coordinator if I could start earlier. She later agreed and started giving me some work that I could do, which was also good for some early hours. Finding an internship is fun, especially when it comes to a spot in which you could see yourself at. I also find it extremely important to network and connect with other designers who may have opportunities for you. It’s a great way for you to step into the design industry and see what they have to offer!