I originally wanted to blog about perception, showing how different images, such as the “Mooney Faces,” by Craig Mooney, and how different people will see situations differently. Perception can depend on timing, awareness, and knowledge, among other elements. Since that is common knowledge and most students are partaking in Spring Break, I have decided to blog about protecting oneself in whatever reality you may live in.
“In the beginning God created the heavens and earth.” And since the beginning there has always been a battle between the Good and Evil. For those who aren’t monotheistic, you still may notice there have always been lies, greed, deceit, betrayal, jealousy, and sometimes war between individuals and groups of people. Many blame these misbehaviors on a variety of factors. Such factors may include the following: mental illness; neglect as a child; upbringing; selfishness; “bad DNA;” seeking attention; imitating the actions of a idol; and be admired or rewarded for misconduct. People you meet, even some you’ve known for years, can seem to be trustworthy under their corrupt facade.
Because there are people in this world that favors wrongdoing, you must protect yourself, especially on vacation. You can do that in many ways. The first way is to gain knowledge and understanding of what ever you decide to do. Whether you are staying near home or going away you females AND males must remain be smart.
Follow these simple Do’s and Don’ts in order to protect yourself
- Let someone, not with you, know of your location
- Keep your phone charged and bring your charger
- Keep a clear mind
- Know your limit
- Do self defense is provoked, take self defense classes if you do not know techniques
- Maintain proper awareness
- Be responsible
- Analyze where are you are and think of possible situations
- Have a backup plan
- Buy your own food & drinks, keeping a close eye
- Carry lightly as to not misplace or lose items
- Don’t Abuse Substances
- Don’t yearn for drama and to be around unsafe environments
- Don’t set your cup down then drink from it again
- Do not fight
- Do not cause too much attention to yourself
- Do not be really flashy
- Don’t provoke someone who already shows aggressive behavior
- Never depend on someone else for your safety, especially if they are partaking in the same activity as you
- Don’t panic, instead think quickly on your feet
- Never sleep in an unfamiliar place
- Never go to places alone, if you must let someone know where you are going
Take this knowledge into consideration even when you are not on a Vay-Cay. Trust me, the more you know, the safer you are, the better you’ll be.
Dedicated to K-Fashion, for we can be so naive and trustworthy and whenever we get together we sometimes become so engulfed in our own fun that we neglect to keep our awareness.
IMAGE CREDITS: All images provided by Heaven Brown of Heaven Sent Photography
QUESTIONS TO THE AUDIENCE: What do you do to protect yourself? | Have you been in a situation that would have been avoided by following these steps? Describe it if you are comfortable. | Do you keep distance from people who show misconduct? | Do you feel there is a such thing as “bad DNA?” | Why can’t we all get along? | Stay tuned on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z … lol 😉
Seriously, let me know what you think.