Current Bloggers

Pebbles Calungsod 
Denise Claire “Pebbles” Calungsod is a 19-year-old Sophomore at City Tech. She has been breathing Brooklyn air for the past 13 years since she first moved to New York City from the Philippines. Although the path of least resistance seems to point towards wedding a billionaire, Pebbles has, instead, decided to study Construction Management and Civil Engineering Technology. Her first love, however, has always been the arts and illustration and she continues to create comics and pieces to keep from getting rusty. She aspires to one day publish her own webcomic from the pile of imaginary worlds she has created and put away for a rainy day.Aside from doodling and imagining a world of buildings erected under her watch, Pebbles spends her free time watching dog videos and exchanging bad pickup lines and dad jokes with her four siblings. She is the proud owner of a 3.6 GB’s worth of meme screenshots. Her mission is to use her artwork to create content that shines a light on the struggle of not only women in the STEM/STEAM fields, but all women as well.

Cherishe Cumma 
My name is Cherishe Antoinette Cumma and I currently reside in Brooklyn, New York. I come from a mixed background of Southern and Caribbean roots. My father’s side of the family is from the little island of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. My family in St. Vincent are farmers who spent the majority of their lives cultivating crops, and selling them in their own shop, along with other goods such as cakes and pastries. My father’s family provided agriculturally for the people in their village/ surrounding neighborhood. My mother’s side of the family has roots in the south specifically Florida.  My mother’s side of the family were musically inclined, and one of my relatives performed at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. Both sides of my family were, and still are strong willed people, who worked hard to achieve their goals and aspirations. I feel their drive running through my veins any time I think about my passion for my academia and my field of study.

As a student at New York City College of Technology, I am currently pursuing a career in English, specifically Professional and Technical Writing. Throughout my coursework I have opted to take a few classes in African studies and these classes helped me realize my passion for writing, specifically writing about issues that impact the African American community. In the past year I became even more obsessed with African history, and I decided that I would like to pursue a degree in English/ Journalism with a minor in African studies. I made the decision that I wanted to apply for Graduate school so that I could further my education, and also achieve the highest degree possible and feel accomplished as a student. Throughout the years that I have spent in college I’ve encountered many obstacles that could have hindered my success if I choose to let them. However, with every adversity that I have faced, I gained a new piece of knowledge that taught me how make it through each semester. This knowledge that I have acquired has been so helpful to me that I would like to share it with the readers of my blog. In doing so, I hope by sharing my personal experiences with others I can empower them to work through issues they are having in life whether they be personal or academic. My main purpose for blogging is to help other by encouraging them to see the hidden potential with themselves so that they can have a prosperous semester, and ultimately a successful life.

Nefertiti Francis 
Hi familia, my name is Nefertiti (yes like the Egyptian queen). Returning back to school after 6 years, I am now a Junior and a Human Services major. Currently working as a Career Advancement Coach at The Door Organization mentoring young adults aged 16-24 years old, I knew as early as I can remember that this was the field I wanted to dedicate my career to. Eventually, my long term goal is to have my own nonprofit mentoring program. There is no better humbling feeling than giving back to our communities and feeding into the next generations.

My goal and theme for my blog here on the buzz, Love, Neffi, is to be able to help my peers empower themselves and others around them. Lifestyle empowerment is a passion of mine because I feel we are our happiest and our best selves when we’re achieving our goals, overcoming obstacles, surprising ourselves, or simply letting it all go and taking a break from life. Only good can come from taking some “me time” or helping others do the same. We also claim to be our “biggest critics” but we need to be our biggest supporters. I believe we all have this future life we want to attain which includes things such as more time for ourselves, self sufficiency, peace of mind, happiness, confidence, a degree, dream job, less stress and all else. As students, school alone is its own beast when it comes to stress.

So in the midst of it all, my desire is to be able to provide you with the tools to help you become your best self. I still am not my best self, there’s always work to do, but I’m magnifying the best in me right now. I work towards it daily so we can do this thing together. Help right? That’s what it’s all about.

This blog is aimed to share everything from free concerts, activities and events happening around the city to short meditations you can do to center yourself. Our happiness can never be measured by material things, it is measured by feeling and emotion. The blog will promote putting yourself first, and loving yourself most in all aspects of your lives. It’s not as selfish as it sounds; the better you are, the better you can be for others.

My biggest hope is for this blog to be identifiable and relatable to everyone so please, do join me this semester for a DrakeBaduYoncéGandhiMarley vibe!

Putting you on to things you’ll love, people and places you’ll love, music you’ll love and of course what we all love most: free stuff.

Love Neffi!

Robine Jean-Pierre  
Robine is an aspiring artist, musician and writer, majoring in Entertainment Technology here at City Tech. Music is her primary passion; she has been playing the piano for most of her life and the guitar for the past five years.

Writing is another creative outlet that has always sparked her interest. Whether through narratives, poetry, academic essays, or song lyrics, she loves being able to express her ideas through carefully selected words. She is a strong advocate for the power of effective communication.

Robine’s blog is inspired by a sociolinguistics class she took during her freshman year at NYU. She plans to explore the intersectionality there is between language and other subjects like race/ethnicity, class, and profession. Her goal is to make her future readers more aware of the power of words and how they use them.

She is proud of her Brooklyn upbringing, Haitian heritage, and Christian faith; she is happily engaged to her best friend Angel Jackson; and she hopes to inspire a positive change, even if only a small one, in the lives of all her readers through her blog.

Gennessy Palma
Hiya CIty Tech! My name is Gennessy Palma from the Communication Design Department, I was born here In New York, the state of opportunity is what they say, raised in Queens. Living In New York you learn a lot of things like street smarts and that building connections is everything. I love bringing smiles to everyone’s day and helping out anyone who is in need. During my first year in college I participated In CUNY LINCT and became an ambassador, I helped students with questions in regards to college and gave them advice about my current college experience. I love speaking openly to crowds, being an ambassador, my coworkers and I gave college tours. After my first year of college, I became what’s known as a Bridge Coach and here I basically helped incoming college students with Admissions and other important things such as FAFSA and TAP.   My point in all this is that I always love to provide people with a sense of comfort and provide solutions, and my purpose here is to relieve you from stress / negativity. How am I going to do that you ask? Simple! By bringing positivity and  enthusiasm into the picture. The way I create a positive environment is through the world of photography, things such as nature and food is something that grabs my attention and brings me comfort so it’s what I mainly photograph, I mean who doesn’t get excited seeing food?? But with photography everything’s different! I was inspired and a new passion came into light after taking my first photography class. Instantly,I knew then and there that this is how I’d bring radiance and positivity to the everyone, I say this because media, nowadays,  brings us the negatives; violence and racism for instance. So why not take a break and see the bright side of the world??

Samantha Pezzolanti (senior blogger; blogging for the Buzz since January, 2016):
Samantha is a senior at City Tech, pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Professional and Technical Writing. A veteran Buzz blogger, Samantha is passionate about sharing her experiences and life stories with the students of City Tech and beyond, in hopes that they can resonate with her words and know they aren’t alone.

Outside of City Tech Samantha is an Office Manager at Tax Corporation H&R Block, and is a mother to her eight-year old daughter Ava. She enjoys film photography, TV Novels and exploring street festivals all over NYC. After she completes her degree Samantha hopes to find work in public relations, media or technical communications.

Brianna Vasquez (senior blogger; blogging for The Buzz since January, 2014):
Brianna is a twenty-two year old Brooklyn native who is now a graduate of New York City College of Technology. Now an alum of the college, she gears her focus towards her major of hospitality management more specifically in the pastry arts and OpenLab’s “The Buzz” resident food blogger. Eventually, she aspires to open her own pastry shop or to teach  others the fundamental basics of baking. In her spare time, Brianna loves baking, swimming, watching hockey (Go Rangers!) and is an avid writer. In the upcoming years, Brianna hopes to learn more about herself and be more spontaneous by way of immersing herself into different hobbies or activities. So if you’re looking for the best treats, meals, and food gossip in town, Brianna is your girl.

My plans, in terms of what I intend to blog about, entail the topics of food themed subjects or events. It will vary from foods that I have personally experienced as Pastry Artswell as foods that I wish to try; I would also like to include food related news that will discuss current happenings in the food world that may have not been widely discussed. Baking is not only a passion of mine but it is a haven in which it allows me to relax from the stress that constantly occurs in life. It brings me utter joy to be able to share my edible masterpieces with others and to vicariously live through the sheer happiness that my homemade desserts offer them. By being able to blog about a subject that has such a meaningful value to me, it allows me to convey that passion and motivation that I have to hopefully encourage others to pursue interests of their own or to immerse themselves into food culture from my posts.

Good luck to everyone this semester and happy posting!

photo credit: Sabrina Vasquez

Sabrina Vasquez (blogging for The Buzz since August, 2016):
Sabrina Vasquez is a junior studying architecture at New York City College of Technology. As a  New York native, she has always admired the concrete jungle, eager to know more about these friendly giants that stand erect and pridefully watch over their inhabitants. On her free time, she enjoys exploring NYC and all of its glory, sketching scenes and narratives of the city. She also enjoys capturing portraits that fully embody the incidental beauty of the city with her camera whether it be from a smartphone or a digital camera. She loves reading fiction novels to pass the time on the subway while taking in the city’s culture that happens to surround her. She aspires to be an architect and to someday be a contributor to this generation’s Contemporary architecture style. She is always willing to learn new things about her environment and apply them to her architectural knowledge. But for now, you can find her at a local park, sitting on a bench, sketching or engulfed into an entirely different literary universe. Her main objective is to make New Yorkers fall back in love with New York City and appreciate all it has to offer. She intends to help her readers understand this beautiful city, architecturally; which can really reflect New York’s culture. She plans to personify New York’s architecture and tell the stories that are begging to be told.

Author’s Note:

photo credit: Sabrina Vasquez

Last year I told some stories of New York City’s architectural elders. Although I intend to continue sharing those narratives, I also want to explore the more contemporary aspect of this city and how the avant garde artistic installments/architecture impact the city.. While looking back at New York’s enchanting and rich past, I also want to venture into the perpetual changes that enrich our city’s culture. I am very excited to see where this school year will take me as we learn more about this beautiful city together.

May the journey continue…