Research Project: Comics Arts

By Eduardo Mendez

INTRODUCTION:

For my research essay, my topic is the comic arts, and how the comics are the design of art. Comic art is the creation of stylized or simplified drawings for the purpose of telling a story, making a point, or making people laugh, so basically that it shows how comics communicate design, that is how the comics can be communicated.

BACKGROUND/REVIEW OF THE SOURCES:

Back in 2006,  I went to the Library with my mom and my brother and look everywhere and then I found a book called, “Captain Underpants”, the hilarious fictional Superhero, and there was a comic book of Captain Underpants, and it was amazing. So I drew a comic of Captain Underpants, and I enjoy drawing, and making comics. Another happen in 2007, when my brother got home from school, he showed me other book that he read called, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid”,  it’s about the journal of truth story about a middle who has misery life, and he have to go to awful middle school, but it was pretty funny, plus it has a comic strips of cartoon such as “Zoo-Wee Mama” and it was hilarious too. So apparently of those two graphic novels, showing the art comics culture is becoming of interest, because since I’m an artist, I can do anything like cartoon characters, So my research is to learn about how comics can be a graphic design culture. 

RATIONALE:

The Reason why I chose this Research is comics arts, because comics art is a culture that shares the identity and practices of comics artists, publishers, and consumers who enjoy reading or watching those comics. To the description of the comic arts, it uses visuals in a series of sequential panels to tell a story. Moreover, most comic art includes text not written by the illustrator, so the comic artist must learn to incorporate the text and font as part of the overall design. So the illustrators of comic strips tend to be the writers as well as illustrators of the series. Comic arts are meaningful to me, because individuals can come together to share their experiences and perspectives, that is connections between people and help build a more inclusive environment.

Method and Design:

• 9×12 Sketchpad Paper
  • 12 Inches Ruler
  • Sketch Papers
  • Ink Pens
  • Script
  • Scan App (Like Adobe)
  • Illustration Software (Illustrator, Vectorpea)

Reference:

101 Outstanding Graphic Novels, by Stephen Weiner, Daniel J. Fingeroth, and Ellen Forney, ebookcentral.proquest:

https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/citytech-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1953381&query=graphic%20novels

Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga And Graphic Novels, by Scott McCloud, PDF:

https://www.yorku.ca/yamlau/readings/Making_Comics.pdf

Print this page