For my Final Project proposal I decided to do it on a Japanese Folktale called Momotaro. Momotaro, meaning “peach boy” is a story about a young boy born from a large peach that floated down a river near a old woman, who was washing her cloths. The old woman took the peach back to her husband for them to eat but stop when a little boy came out of it. They decided to raise the boy as their own son giving him the name Momotaro. When Momotaro grew up to be big and strong, he decided to set off on a journey to slay ogres that were pillaging the land, Okayama. He is joined by a dog, monkey and a pheasant.

Momotaro is a young teen who is big and strong. He wears a green hakama (a type of samurai clothing) and shimo with flowers on them, held by a black tie. He also wears fur shin guards with sandals. He has black hair tied into a short ponytail. Momotaro also carries a katana with a yellow hilt.

The dog has black and white fur and is shown to be wearing a blue and white hakama held by a black tie. The dog is seen carrying a katana with a green guard.

The monkey is wearing a yellow hakama with flowers on it, over a blue kimono. The monkey has brown fur with a pink face and is shown carrying a katana with a blue hilt.

The pheasant has black and red feathers and is shown to be wearing red samurai armor. The pheasant is also carrying a katana with a black hilt.

The demographic/audience for this proposed book will be aim towards young adults. I want to have Momotaro not only be a inspiration for children but also for young teens who are afraid to achieve their goals.

The changes I would make to this story is to add a little blood to the fight between the ogres and Momotaro, to give the story more action and realistic elements to it. I’m going to make the old couple be a little reluctant to let Momotaro go on his journey, in order to demonstrate the concerns of parents. I will also have the dog, pheasant and monkey fight with their katanas rather than have them fight with their fangs, beaks and claws. The last change I will make is having the ogres appear menacing and determine, in order to give Momotaro and his companions more of a challenge.

Here is the link to the folktale: https://japanesemythology.wordpress.com/momotaro-the-peach-boy/