The writer’s discussion about keeping a sketchbook is that sketchbooks can be a visual diary of daily thoughts, imaginings, and renderings. If you have time to scroll through social media on your phone or watch television during your free time, you have time for your sketchbook. Also how perfectionism can seem like a good trait, but ultimately It holds us back. Another point is the art materials we use to sketch don’t matter because art is all about being in the moment, which can be achieved with any medium. Also, a great way to practice your skills is to set up still lifes. Lastly, If you draw what you see and not what you know, you’ll produce a drawing that looks more like the object in front of you.

In the past, during my high school years, I did regularly draw in my sketchbook during my free time. What has stopped me is watching too much television and playing video games. I hope to fall in love with drawing everyday in my sketchbook all over again. I feel like the quote means that drawing in your sketchbook is another way to calm and relax yourself, and is similar to meditation.