I enjoyed this sketchbook assignment because it made me think about what I need to work on and how to improve my inking. It was a challenge to think about what to sketch while using the values that I have learned, but I believe that I have managed to create artwork that is well thought out; and shows a good use of the ink techniques.

First, I created swatches using the Sakura Micron Pens, ranging from .005, 02, 03, 05, 08 and Brush. I tried warming up by testing out what techniques to use and how much pressure to apply. I am still having trouble with the pressure but I believe with more practice I will be able to master it. I also test out how dark I can make the swatches with one of the pens. The last four swatches were made with the Princeton Select Artiste Paint Brushes from #0, #1, #2 and #3. The process was challenging because I had to make sure to keep the strokes steady and not to apply a lot of pressure on the brush. I need to practice more with the paint brushes in order to learn to balance out the pressure, but I believe I still did a good job with the swatches.

The next part of the assignment was to create art using the techniques I learned. The first sketch involves the character I had created from last class, which has the superpower to transform into all members of the canine family, Canis Lupus. I thought about having her walking along a forest path with a wolf. The wolf sensing the superpower and viewing her as a friend or pack member. I used the 02, 08 and .005 pens to create the artwork, including the hatching to show the shadows on the figures.

The last sketch is a landscape art involving a cabin in a field with a forest and mountains at night time. This art was made with .005, 05, 03 and 08 pens. I also used cross hatching to create the values in the art. Overall, I learned a lot from this assignment and will continue to practice ink warm ups in the future.