The steps Jillian Tamaki uses when generating an idea are to first, consume herself in media such as culture, reading books, magazines, blogs, watching the news and visiting museums in order to become interested in said media. Then, she uses references from photos/illustrations and designs that she collects in a folder on her desktop. Next, Tamaki reads contents, such as books, plays and articles in order to take it seriously. She also uses words as a foundation to help generate her concepts and gathers images. Finally, Tamaki mixes all previous steps to combine words, create character sketches, compositions, designs, colors and looks in her reference folder for inspiration. All of these leads to her creating thumbnails.

The techniques that I already use from Tamaki’s steps are consuming myself in media and using references. I consume myself in comic books, anime and manga to gain my interest and often search through Google to look at animals, poses, characters and anatomy for references.

Using words as a foundation and gathering images could help me generate an idea. I am currently attempting to use a word web to help me think about what images to search for. I hope to further use words for a foundation and try to gather images to help me with generating ideas in the future.