Although I do not consider myself an illustrator by talent or trade, I have always loved the process of releasing my creative energies through the means of art. I was born an artist. The gifts which people have most recognized me for was at first singing, than poetry and creative writing. So, I’ve stepped on the stage for those two reasons since I was a youngin’. Yet, as a child I was always gifted sketchbooks, watercolors, pencils for sketching and the likes. I have always dabbled in art of every form, from collage, photography painting and I even learned silk-screening, as an intern for my friends Fashion brand. Currently, I am completing my second area of concentration, Mixed Media in order to graduate from undergrad. I decided to incorporate this into my studies because I yearn to sharpen my knowledge surrounding the processes of different mediums that I have dabbled in throughout the years. 

This course in particular, Illustration I, stood out to me because I believe learning to draw better can allow me to feel confident in pairing my poetry and writing with beautiful interpretations of that story through visual art. I hope to publish more of my work and be able to not only be the author of my books, but also a contributor to the illustrations. I aspire to create a book of poetry that include my signature “doodles” as well as publish a children’s book with the use of my language and mixed media visual literacy. 

The kinds of things I am interested in drawing are cityscapes, interesting and corky representations of the diversity we see in the city, through portraiture. I am also interested in creating my own characters that describe the subject matter I write about most, which is social justice, equality and oppression. Often when I go to draw, the perfectionist in me doesn’t allow for my unique style to come forth. I look forward to honing in on my own signature. When I think of my journals or notebooks that include both writing and drawings, I notice that my best work is when I’m just doodling little cityscapes, starry skies, roads that lead to fields and half pig half human characters. When I think to draw people, I often get caught up in making it look realistic, but I don’t have the training in that yet, so I think I can benefit from making my people more abstract. The visuals that may become important signatures for me are New York City subcultures, urban life, hip hop, political satire as well as the mix of environmental elements such as flowers, buildings, trees. I want my art to help communicate about the communities in which I grew up in, what they deserve and what is being taken from them on a daily basis. I want to also be able to show my own identity and role in this by tying in my families midwestern roots to the perspective and oddities of two worlds colliding.Â