Some new things for you to watch! And Comment this week! (WEEK 7)

Hi Students. Here is another quick video from me this week. Please watch. Then, scroll down.

NOW: On to the promised video links. I need you to watch these two videos. These concepts are going to be super important to us going forward:

AND FINALLY: please write in comments to this post and tell us your reactions. What do you think?! Do you read, laterally, as a rule?  Were you told that Wikipedia is “bad”? I want to get some dialogue going on this post. So any reflection you have about your past or your style of research is really encouraged. (And, by the way, I LOVE Wikipedia! And I hear this all the time.)

1. Tina

I think that when it comes to the information we obtain online, it is always good to approach it with a skeptical mindset. I find that reading laterally is a good practice when it comes to research because it allows you to cross-check the information you are reading with other sources to determine its accuracy. Personally, I have more experience when it comes to writing scientific research papers and have always been told that Wikipedia is not a valid source. However, though I’ve never cited the Wikipedia site itself, oftentimes I like to use the resources listed on the Wikipedia page to gain access to more up-to-date articles related to my topic. Though Wikipedia may contain mistakes from time to time, it is a good source to go to locate the most current information on a subject.

• Haifa

Tina is correct; you never know which website will provide the correct information. I usually check a variety of sources for responses to ensure that the results are correct. A teacher cautioned me in middle school to stay away from Wikipedia. I, of course, did it. Since then, I haven’t used any of the information I gathered there. However, the videos I’m seeing right now have changed my mind. I feel compelled to use it to find answers to all of my questions about things. It appears to be a valuable website, but all I have to do now is figure out how to utilize it properly.

2. Ashly

Because when Trump was president there were many different headlines for somethings, like FOX and CNN had a very different POV so I did not know what to believe. On social media you would see people with different opinions too so I would do my own research by reading multiple sources and looking for non bias information. Ever since I was little I would go to Wikipedia for research papers but now that I am older since I was told many times that it isn’t trustworthy I try to avoid it. I usually read 5-10 articles and look for evidence to make sure I am not wrong and sometimes I watch videos too.