Professor Poirier | D366 | Spring 2024

MAT 1375 X MAT 2580 collab

Comment due Sunday, March 10

MAT 1375 students’ instructions

MAT 1375 students, the instructions here are not for you! Do not comment on this post! See the post with your instructions over on the MAT 2580 site.

MAT 2580 students’ instructions

MAT 2580 students, welcome to the MAT 1375 site! Some of you probably took MAT 1375 at CityTech but for those of you who didn’t: MAT 1375 is CityTech’s Precalculus course. The students in this class are learning about graphs of different types of functions.

So the MAT 1375 students are like past versions of you! They’re a few semesters behind where you are in their math journeys. What advice do you have for them to help them succeed?

• Maybe you’d like to tell them what skills or material you think is most important from MAT 1375 or any of the other math classes you took before MAT 2580?
  • Maybe you’d like to tell them what you wish they’d learned better from MAT 1375 any of the other math classes you took before MAT 2580?
  • Maybe you’d just like to tell them how you have succeeded in your math classes or how to prepare for a test?
  • Maybe you’d like to tell them something more personal like what your major is, what you like about differential equations, what you liked about Precalculus, or what other math classes you have to take?

Your instructions for this assignment are simple: in the comments below, give the MAT 1375 students some unsolicited advice.

Since you have not commented in this group before, your comments will not appear right away. They have to be approved by the administrator first, but the administrator is me and I’ll approve any advice (as long as it is not too inappropriate). Anyone who offers any advice will earn participation credit.

1. Owen Zhang

Hello, My name is Owen. I would like to tell you about how I succeeded in the math classes and the upcoming math classes you are about to take. Firstly after the lecture you can either go to their office hours but if that is not an option but you do understand the material you can review and make up your own problems to solve to practice for the test. I do not recommend you study the day before the test because you will just forget it the very next day and you’ll be like “I studied this yesterday, why can’t I remember how to do it.” Onward to the next question which is just be prepared for calculus two. A very little part of calculus two will require you to do long division but other than that you will be doing lots and lots of antiderivatives and derivatives and limits.

2. Leonardo Siavichay

What you are learning right now is the basis for future courses. Make sure not to forget trigonometry because you will need it in Calculus 2. Actually, you will use a lot, and that is something that bothers me because I took a year ago and my mind isn’t fresh with it. people who has problem understanding, please ask to professor or go to tutoring, it helps a lot, or even can look for videos and practice at home. If you are going to study is better to practice with new exercises instead of reviewing your notes.

3. Iftat Bhuiyan

Hey MAT 1375 crew, welcome to the precalc grind at CityTech! This class is like the foundation for all the cool math stuff that comes later, especially if you’re heading towards MAT 2580 like I did. Here’s the deal: really get to know those function graphs, because trust me, they’re everywhere later on. Don’t just memorize stuff for the next test; try to get why things work the way they do. And if things get tricky, don’t sweat it—there’s plenty of help around, from profs to study buddies. This isn’t just about acing exams; it’s about gearing up to tackle real challenges down the line. Keep it real, stay engaged, and dare to push your limits. You’ve got this!

4. yusuf faragallah

Hello, my name is Yusuf. To succeed in math classes, I recommend doing new practice problems after the lecture is over to ensure you understand the material. Sometimes, the rule may make sense in class, but when reviewing a few weeks later, you won’t understand how to apply the rule. For studying, I don’t recommend you study the day before. The material may be too much to review at one time especially if there are different topics. I’d recommend pacing yourself 2 or so weeks before the exam going through each of the topics. Then, as the exam gets closer, you’d be able to handle more than one topic at once. I’d also recommend to go to office hours or the city tech tutoring if you’re confused. If you’d rather outside of school, I’d recommend channels like Khan academy or something of that sort. Good luck with your classes!

5. Haris Rao

Hello, my name is Haris. As you dive into MAT 1375, remember to solidify your foundational skills in Precalculus, such as understanding functions and graphs. Consistent practice is key to success, so make solving problems a regular habit. Don’t hesitate to seek help early if you encounter challenges, and consider collaborating with classmates for different perspectives. As you progress, try to see the connections between concepts and their real-world applications. When preparing for tests, focus on understanding rather than memorization. Maintaining a positive mindset and celebrating small victories will make your math journey more enjoyable. Personally, I’m majoring in Computer Engineering, and I find the practical applications of differential equations fascinating. Best of luck, and embrace the learning process!

• Ramses Suarez Valerio

Hello Haris, I’m Ramses Suarez, and I wholeheartedly share your sentiment about the importance of diligently reviewing and practicing. This approach is essential for deepening our comprehension of the material taught in MAT1375.

6. Hao Ting

Hi, my name is Hao. There are some suggestions that might help you succeed in your MAT 1375 class:

1. Attend your classes. I really think attending classes, especially in-person classes is importation. I’ve been through the full online class time during COVID19. It was nice not to wake up early and save travel fees, but having online classes made me feel I wasn’t taking class at all, and I lost attention very easy. Same as now, even though you can find some awesome class videos from the Internet, it still can’t take place the actual physical classes. So besides attendance policy, attend to classes is important for us to learn.
    2. Practice more. Math classes don’t require a lot of memorizes, we have formula sheets and calculators anyway. But doing our homework is still important because practicing in the homework can get us familiar with the formulas and know how to use them. As we know, the Webwork just ask the final answers but not the steps, some people would just use some online calculators to get the answers. Please avoid doing that and do the work ourselves, or we may get in trouble in the exams.
  7. Gurpreet

Hello! My name is Gurpreet. Having journeyed through precalculus and now delving into other advanced math classes, I can confidently say that mastering the basics and consistent practice is key. Math is a skill that improves with use. Regular practice doesn’t just enhance your ability to solve problems quickly; it also boosts your confidence. The fundamental concepts you learn in MAT 1375 are critical—they’re the building blocks for more complex topics. Ensure you have a solid understanding of functions, trigonometry, and algebraic manipulation. These essentials will serve as a sturdy foundation for your continued mathematics study. Good luck and have fun with it!!!

8. Hussain Hoque

HI!! My name is Hussain. I’m gonna be honest with you, pre-calc is harder than calc 1 and 2. Pre-calc for me was the hardest because the material was confusing and the teacher did not explain to me as much as I would have liked. So a lot of self-learning will help you in this class. College mostly is self-learning but watch YouTube videos to understand better, good luck! And calc 1 and 2 are mostly a breeze. They deal with derivatives and antiderivatives and they aren’t too bad with the right teacher. Calc 1 is harder but Calc 2 will make your school load easier. Just study the formulas. Practice for 30 minutes each day and memorize them, they will save you during the tests. You don’t get a cheat sheet. And trust me, there are a lot.

9. Hussain

Hi!, my name is Hussain! Pre-calc to me was the hardest because I didn’t realize that self-learning was the most important thing in college. Teachers will give you the base material but you need to go home and study. for like 30 minutes a day. But honestly, you’re at the hardest course right now. If you plan on taking Calc 1 and 2, they are much easier IMO. They deal with derivates antiderivatives and integrals. But they do have a lot of formulas so you need to study them and memorize them. there are no cheat sheets. Oh and also revise trigonometry. This will save you later on because Calc deals with a lot fo trig. Watch youtube videos to to help you and don’t stress too much about it. getting the perfect score will hold you back. Do your best and take time to study.

10. Alan Pacheco

Hello, this is future Alan. In order to succeed, you have to really pay attention in class to the equations being taught. One of the hardest things to do is review and practice, but I know you can do it. Right now, I am majoring in computer science and it is honestly so much fun and I am learning so much. The most thing is to use all of the resources available to you. Whether it be office hours, tutoring, or YouTube videos. They are all super helpful in making you a better student, and a more capable employee for the career you are hoping to pursue.

11. Danny L

Hi, my name is Danny. Pre-calc will definitely have you memorizing stuff from high school like trigonometry. So you should definitely review for that by looking at your old notes or looking up a video online! Don’t be afraid of going to a tutor if you feel you are not doing well! Good luck on the rest of the semester!

12. luka pirtskhalava

MAT1375 is very interesting course. It is not hard, to be honest. Just pay attention to every detail and ask questions. Do your homework and do calculations without calculator. It will be fun.

13. Wellington D Verduga

Hi, I am Wellington. I would love to tell you more about my 1375 experience but that was quite a while ago for me (around 2019) and to be honest, I wasn’t doing so good. I was struggling between work and school. I would instead offer you some general advice. Pay attention to the class and follow it up with the homework. Thankfully, you are in Prof. Poirier’s class so the notes on the board will be neat and extremely organized. Follow them to the T and re-reading them when doing the homework should be a walk in the park. When in time for the tests, it is advice to keep yourself just as organized and since you have been doing the webwork by re reading the notes on the board, you will be doing this unintentionally.

It is as simple as that. No magic trick, no illusion. Lastly, if something doesn’t work at first, it doesn’t mean that it won’t work the second time you try. Don’t give up.

14. Houda naimi

Hi my name is houda, Pre-calc lass was easy because you just need to realize the rules and practice more problems and pay attention to the professor and practice in home

15. Alan Pacheco

Hello my name is Alan. The only piece of advice I would give you is that practice is the best thing you can do in any math class. Make sure to review notes after class, ideally right after since its still fresh in your memory. Even after the semester, if you have any topic you feel you want to review or that you are unclear on. REVIEW IT. Math classes tend to work on top of each other and builds upon your previous class, even if its only a little. However, the fundamentals should be very solid even if it is just pre-calc.

16. Liz Brandwein

Try to pay attention to the visuals. Being able to see what you’re doing is crucial in linear algebra and any future calculus courses you may take.

17. Joseph Valentin

Hello, my name is Joseph. The best advice I can give for math is to always do homework and review. I know homework can be annoying but it’s there for a reason. There are always going to be many concepts and it can be quite easy to forget without putting in practice and reviewing, especially when you get to Calculus 1 and 2. Always pay attention and copy notes and if there’s still a part in a topic that still confuses you, Youtube is your best friend to further understand the concept. Or just use the resources your teacher provides

18. Roza

Hello, I am Roza. To succeed in pre-calculus or any field of math, in my opinion, you need to understand/be able to prove the formulas. I know it can be a lot of information and it takes a lot of time, but trying to prove the formulas or at least studying their proof helps not to forget them. When you understand the formulas, and not just memorize them, you will understand the subject, and when you solve problems with that knowledge it becomes much easier. Also it becomes much more fun!