Scholarships actualize each of SHPE’s mission’s components by increasing student access and support to higher education in STEM programs. Our aim is to bridge the disparities in STEM degrees between Hispanics and their non-Hispanic counterparts.
The Hispanic Support Organization (HSO) is Verizon Communications’ premier Hispanic Employee Resource Group. We are dedicated to every aspect of our members’ personal and professional excellence. We work to foster unity and improve relationships between our membership and all employees. The HSO counsels and educates leaders to raise awareness and increase responsiveness to issues affecting the Hispanic Community within and outside Verizon. Additionally, we identify, promote, and support activities that allow us to reach out and contribute to the communities served by Verizon.
In 2016 the HSO Scholarship Fund awarded four outstanding college-bound students with $10,000 in scholarships. Since its inception, the HSO-NY Scholarship Fund has awarded $218,000 in scholarships to 70 extraordinary Hispanic college students from New York and New Jersey.
This year we are partnering with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), with the goal of making the scholarship program bigger, better and reaching an even wider audience. We aim to award at least three (3) qualified Hispanic students with a one-time scholarship in the amount of at least twenty-five hundred dollars ($2,500). Qualified students must be high school seniors or college freshmen, and reside in New York or New Jersey.
- APPLICANT must be of Latino/Hispanic origin and reside in the States of New York or New Jersey.
- APPLICANT must be a high school senior or college freshmen at the time the application is submitted.
- APPLICANT must have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (C.G.P.A.) of 3.0/ B (based on a 4.0 maximum scale) or equivalent based on other officially stated maximum scale of Applicant’s high school system. For High School Seniors, C.G.P.A is for sophomore and junior years.
- APPLICANT must be applying to or enrolled in an accredited college/university; and must provide proof of enrollment from the university registrar before actual allocation of the awarded funds.
- The scholarship application must be post marked no later than June 30, 2018.
- In order to receive the scholarship award, the RECIPIENT MUST ATTEND the HSO 2018 Scholarship Dinner – TBD at a location in the NY Metro Area to be determined.
- Complete scholarship application signed and dated
- Post mark and mail the application by June 30, 2018
- PROOF OF INCOME for Parent(s)/Guardian(s) The first two pages of the 2017 Federal Income Tax Return(s) AND/OR Social Security Benefits, Social Services, AFDC, etc.
- HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS: A LIST OF APPLIED OR INTENDED COLLEGES or UNIVERSITIES
- OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT 2018
- AT LEAST TWO (2) TYPED, Signed LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- TWO PAGE, DOUBLE SPACED, TYPED ESSAY OUTLINING:
- How would you inspire Hispanics in your community to further their education?
- What tactics would you use?
- What tools would you provide?
- How would you measure the success of the project?