Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

DeAndre Badresingh, Favorite Poems

Title : If 

If only you knew what I’ve been going through 

The emotional pain that’s going nowhere soon

If only you knew I was doing this for you 

I stayed by myself because I had no one to relate to

Shining like the moonlight on the beach in the ocean, I’m feeling blue

Ran away in my feelings and had no clue 

If only you knew the pain but it wouldn’t be nothing new

So as usual, I’ll see you soon

• – Anonymous

High school was a very challenging time for me given that there was so much going on at one time. But, at the end of the day I had always had friends who would be by my side no matter what the situation was. One day, I hit a rock bottom low and my friend came to comfort me. He was really into poetry and he said poetry is his way of forgetting everything around him. So, that day he wrote this poem but I changed it to reflect my current situation. What I really appreciate about the poem is the last stanza because it is more of an open ended idea. When you read the poem and understand the person who wrote it is hurt you would ask yourself “Why would you see that person who is causing you pain soon?” “What do you mean by “So as usual, I’ll see you soon?” This to me is an open ended question that only the person reading the poem can answer. Hence, I have kept this poem for almost 5 years to remind me that only I can power through my own problems and not anyone else.

1. Amani

This strikes me as a very emotional poem. There is a lot of deep meaning behind this poem and it really speaks to ones own strength.

2. Will

This poem is mentally intensive if that makes any sense. The person thinking thinking these things (which is safe to say was you or your friend who wrote this (?)) was holding onto a lot of thoughts. Felt chocked up with emotions that couldn’t be expressed.

3. Nuha

I liked the word choice and the style of the poem; it’s sharp but shiny.

4. Jeffrey

There’s a very somber tone and a bunch of (I think) half rhymes here; I think it adds to the poem without being too distracting that way.