Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Amani Nassar, Coates’ Critique

This was definitely a different style of writing and storytelling compared to all of the other readings we’ve done. Coates’ was very detailed and intuitive to the main character’s thoughts. The description Coates’ gives us about the setting and actions of each character were really good as well. I could picture the body of water, how frantic Maynard was, and even envision the ghostly figure of the mom. I did however notice myself having to reread many parts of the story to understand what was going on, possibly because the story started off with a situation already and explained afterwards what actually happened. One question I have is why did the author begin the story this way? 

1. Jason Jordan

I agree with you that this is a different pace of a story. I did enjoyed the descriptive nature of the story and I was intrigued with the water dancer and want to know more about the spirit.

2. Ralph Ayala

I do agree how this story can be a huge change in pace. While I enjoyed the details being described inside the story I was also curious as to why the author choose to write the text the way he did.

3. Will

I agree with you on the author’s ability to include so much detail that brought it to life. I’m sure there may have been a prologue that could’ve been read to have a greater understanding of why the chapter started off the way it did. The author probably wanted to start off with a lot to digest as the reading continued?

4. Nelson Tavarez

I with probably everyone else agree with your question “why did the author begin the story this way?”. I agree with the very detailed parts of being in the water and the situation going in the main character head. They were really good!

5. JoharM

I agree with this reading being a nice change of pace compared to the other ones. Coates’ descriptions definitely helped picture the lady and the drowning as clear as day.