Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Jason Jordan, Coates Critique

While reading this short passage I like the description of the water dancer and of the countryside of Virginia. I like the idea of the water dancer and how she was the only one to see how elegant the dancer movements were. I enjoyed reading the ending scene and the dynamics of her and her brother relationship. It surprised me how she left her brother to drowned even though he was not a really good person. My only questions is what is the significance of the water dancer and how does she relate to the main character? Is that her mother?

1. Will

I agree with your question about the water dancer. I’m not too sure what was her significance in the whole reading, but it did say she was the narrators mother towards the end of the first paragraph on the second page to help clarify.

2. Moose

Yea I also enjoyed the description of the water dancer. She is the mother and the narrator spoke about how dancing is the way her mother and father met.

3. Fnu Janvi

I agree that the description of the water dancer and of the countryside of Virginia I also like the concept of the water dancer because it’s a new concept and new ideas for me.