Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Fnu Janvi, Jones Critique

I really enjoyed reading “ the first day” by Edward P. Jones. This story is about the mother and daughter relationship and how the mother dressed her daughters for the first day of school also many more things. The most important thing about this story is it’s written by the first person, and this is why this story explains things in very specific ways. For example, the emotions between mother and daughter, the daughter’s point of view towards her mother in the story are very well described, which really persuaded me as a reader. I also really liked the last paragraph of the story, which was hart touching for me. As the narrator was too descriptive towards her mother’s character and also about the single detail, I could make a picture in my mind and imagine how the story looks like in the real world.

Nevertheless, I also somewhere fells connected to this story. How? In this story, the narrator’s mother can’t read and writes, and my mother, whose first language is not English, many times she can’t express herself to others, so my brother and I helped her a lot and encouraged her to learn English. Now she is much better and improving.

1. Will

The first-person bit I can agree with. First-person adds to the sense of immersion when you read a piece of literature that’s well written. The last bit in your response hits home for me too, I can relate to that. My grandmother has a language barrier to some extent as she can understand English, but not speak it all too well.

2. Joselin

I agree when you mentioned how she was very descriptive when it came to telling her story. Her word choice made me visualize what was going on in the story. This story does make me feel connected as well since my mother’s first language isn’t English either.

3. Jourdan

I agree with the first person comment. If the story was written in a different point of view, I feel like it would’ve been told very differently and it would’ve been way harder to understand.