Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Wilbert Rodriguez, Gurba Critique

This reading started aggressive, and let’s just say I was already a fan the minute it did. Readers attention are usually caught by surprises, and the author’s style will surely surprise many. The author’s use of spanglish stands out to the hispanics that constantly switch between the English and Spanish like a switch to communicate. Gurba has a funny way of using spanglish to share what she’s feeling as her blood boils throughout the writing piece.

I also enjoyed how blunt she was about expressing every thought on the page. She eventually explained where she was able to get it from; turns out she managed to get the “cocky footsteps” from her grandfather (who was also a publicist coincidently enough). She had no remorse throughout the piece. I have a feeling she can look at anyone in the eye, and say exactly what’s on the mind without any hint of sympathy or regret. She has that ‘I said what I said’ mentality which is something that certainly does not appeal to everyone.

1. DeAndre Badresingh

I agree, her choice of words when writing this was one of the key aspects that defined her criticism towards Cummin’s book.

2. Amani

I really enjoyed her use of Spanglish as well, it did make her writing funny. I agree that her style of writing definitely would surprise many readers since she started off with this aggressive and assertive tone immediately, its something you might expect to develop further in the story.

3. Nuha

, Same I enjoyed the reading and the way she uses spanglish. Also, she sure got her aggressiveness and boldness from her grandfather.

4. Christopher

I agree with you, I also liked the Spanglish because it had a change in the way the author communicated, it made it more interesting and it showed how committed she was to defend her country and culture from Cummins