Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Nuha Abdulla Critique on Anonymous

Whatever Happened To__” by Anonymous conveyed the narrator’s struggles in her life as a successful woman. Anonymous is a mother, writer, and college professor who speaks up about her personal life and work life and how she was judged by society. There were moments where I stopped reading and process the difficulties of being a woman. The narrator talks about her abusive relationship with her ex-husband. It was sad to see your loved ones turn against you or feel jealous because she excels in being a good mother, writer, and college professor. 

Anonymous struggles made me think of how society judges you as a woman to be everything in one, but we are never thanked or have the freedom as men do but are seen as not good mothers, wives, and educated.  A question I have for Anonymous is why she kept up with her husband all the time and why she’s afraid of being exposed.  I enjoy reading this story because it shows a different perspective about women. Although I agree with man are always at the top and will destroy women for their satisfaction, like the environment she works in and her ex-husband being jealous and intimidated by her exceptional work. Also, she college professor and grades hundreds of papers doing many jobs, yet her in-law’s eyes are on her like they control her husband and begin point at from everyone inside the house and outside.

1. Joselin

I agree with the question you’re asking about why was stood with him while he was being aggressive towards her. I wrote a similar question as to why she kept herself anonymous when writing her story.