Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

A critique of Anonymous’ work.

I would like to start with that this reading, although it was lengthy didn’t feel long. I liked that I wanted to continue reading it not only to finish it but to know what happens next. Not only what would happen next but to know the end for the author. I know its Anonymous, but I would like to know what had happened to the author. I could see that this was posted recently. Furthermore, I didn’t know that problems like this still existed to this extent. If what the author wrote was of this time I imagined that problems like this were handled better. I wouldn’t know the whole truth since it’s in her perspective but what else could I go off of. I want to know when this happened (year etc) ? Does the author go by Anonymous for all her works after everything that happened? I want to know if anyone knows who the writer could be off the way she writes? Is her new goal to fight for women rights now?

I liked that the beginning felt normal and describing the authors’ day to day life. It all felt welcoming then the storm came in. The way she introduced her husband and the conflict with him was great to read.

1. DeAndre Badresingh

When reading you’re critique, I also question the reason why the author named themselves Anonymous. Towards the ending of the story, she did mention her hesitation on hosting reading events and having her name out there so I believe this is the reason for the decision.

2. Alexsis

I also wonder when the incident with her husband occurred. It’s hard to believe something like that can still be happening after all this time. Even though it’s hard to believe, it does still happen and it’s sad to think some women live in fear. I think Anonymous is brave for sharing her story because not only can other people relate to it, the message of the story is also hopeful. She didn’t allow her husband to come in between her passion for writing and in the end she chose herself and her daughter which is admirable. Even though she was going through a divorce and raising a child on her own she was still passionate about writing. I think this sends a message out to do whatever makes you happy without feeling guilty about it.