This is my octopus! His name is Sky and he’s a reversible octopus that has a happy side and an angry side. I use the two sides to show my moods throughout the day. If he’s on the happy side, I’m in a good mood and if he’s on the angry side, I’m in a bad mood. Sky is a gift that I received from a long distance friend who lives in Texas. Also, his name is Sky because he has a sun on his head on his happy side and a moon on his head on the angry side.

The reason why Sky means a lot to me is because of my mom. I was sick since the beginning of January and because of that, Sky was always flipped to the angry side because I didn’t feel good. Sooner or later, that sickness caused me to go to the emergency room and I was really scared. It was my first being a patient in the emergency room and I wanted my mom to be with me for as long as she could. However, the hospital we went to wasn’t allowing any visitors due to COVID-19 so, my mom was forced to go home. I was never admitted to the hospital but, I had to stay in the emergency room overnight.

When I came home, I saw that my mom had cleaned up my room for me while I was gone and I really appreciated that. In the process, I noticed that Sky was flipped to the happy side. I asked my mom if she turned flipped him herself and she said she did. I asked her why and her response was, “I don’t want you to feel upset anymore. I want you to be happy!” I don’t know why but those words have lived in my head ever since my mom said it to me. Every time I look at Sky, I always think of what my mom said and I’ve never turned him on his angry side since I got home from the hospital.