Prof. Jessica Penner | D304 | Spring 2022

Jessica Penner, Memoir 1 (Revised)

Meet My Feet!

If we were at my apartment right now, I’d show you one of my favorite pair of shoes: Red Doc Martens. I love these boots. They’re comfortable for walking and teaching and just look awesome. They’re getting a little ragged and worn–I think I’ve owned this pair for nearly a decade. I know I’ve gone through at least two sets of inserts!

When I was in high school, I wanted a pair of Doc Martens, but couldn’t afford to have a “real” pair. Instead, I bought pairs of knock-off Doc Martens, which are fine and looked basically like the real deal, but I knew in my heartest of hearts that they weren’t the same.

There was a point in my life after I’d been teaching awhile when I realized: “Hey, you’ve got enough money to buy the real thing!” And then I started shopping, which is the most fun about getting new clothes or shoes, in my opinion. At first, I was going to buy the traditional pair (black), but then I saw these red ones, and I decided, if I was going to splurge, I was going to splurge on something that stood out.

1. Adrian Polanco

I enjoyed the feeling of seeing you have the genuine desire to obtain the “real” pair of Doc Martens. So as soon as you got your job and were able to afford them you knew that’s what you wanted the moment you saw them. My one question is that I see you mentioned going through two sets of inserts, what exactly are inserts? Can you explain in more detail for those who may not be too knowledgeable on shoes.

2. Aide

I enjoy your honest opinion that not always we can offered the things we want. I remember when I had my first pair of Doc Martens, it felt amazing I was in love since then. My question is if you could go back in time, do you think it would have been possible to find a way to get the real ones?

3. Zevanya

I found your story very relatable as I bought my first Nike Air Forces on my own after working and saving up a few years back. How did you feel when you first wore your red Doc Martens?

4. Tomas Biterski

I enjoyed how you emphasized your desire for getting a pair Doc Martin shoes by stating that you’ve been wanting to buy a pair since you were in high school.

5. Chelsea Williams

I like how you expressed your love for your shoes it was very detailed.

What made you want Doc Martens?

6. Lisa

I enjoyed reading how enthusiastic you are about your boots. I can tell you really like them. I can relate on how when you really want something but it’s too expensive just buying the knock off version. I used to do that when I was younger with ugg boots. I didn’t even realize there was a red Doc Martens I thought they only had regular black ones so that’s cool.

7. Gabriel Martinez

I enjoyed that after all those years, you were still committed to wanting the same pair of shoes you did while you were a student in high school.

Had you always wanted to get the traditional black pair? Or had you ever considered getting a pair that wasn’t black prior to your shopping?

8. Atta Tariq

I think self love or self care is most important thing just because at the end of the day you just have yourself. I just want to ask a question can money happiness? just after reading this show how much the things made you happy.

9. Austin Vegas

I personally liked the way you brought up that you wanted a pair of Doc Martens when you were younger because it allows the reader to see that it’s something you always wanted. However, can you explain more in depth about what caused you to realize that you could afford the pair of Doc Martens boots you always wanted since you were younger?

10. Allen Shen

I appreciate the specificity of the exact shoe name, though a quick Google search reveals there are the two different “red” Doc Martens.

Overall it was an enjoyable and whimsical read. The one question I do have is why you prefer these boots over other types of footwear that are also comfortable and attractive

11. Rabbi

I think it’s really nice how you talk about little things and you can connect to someone. Your story about your shoes and buying them is something that I can also connect to. I liked the fact after reading the whole thing is that you presented a little story and it can connect to other people as well.
    “Splurge” the word was new to me when I was reading.

12. Nicole Zuniga

I enjoyed the simplicity of the story, it’s very relatable with wanting expensive items as a teen but never able to get them because they’re way out of price range especially if you’re a full time student with no job. I enjoyed the line “if I was going to splurge , I was going to splurge on something that stood out” I think the exact same way when deciding on items I want especially if it’s gonna cost a good amount of money .

13. Waleed Qureshi

I really enjoyed the, “heartest of hearts” phrase in this reading. For me this phrase described the need of a person to achieve or own something but due to the passing time that person forgets it. Upon remembering this and finally owning those shoes, provided me with the sense of happiness by the author.
    I really enjoyed this reading but I would like to know more about what Doc Martens are and what makes them stand out from other shoe types.

14. JamesVegas

From what you put in your story, it was amusing for you to describe why you love your favorite pair of shoes. Based on memories when you were younger and wanting the real deal in the future. One question I ask is do those Red Doc Martins define a part of who you are? One critique I have is there could’ve been a slightly stronger way to end the short story, I feel like it was a bit abrupt to finish it like that. Other than that I found it very enjoyable to read overall.

15. Dree-Nica Isemar

I can relate to this story because I remember when I too wanted something name brand and always had to end up getting off-brands. Now that I am working I can finally get what I’ve always wanted. What else did you end up getting?

16. Amarachi

Overall your story was great. I enjoyed the flow of your short story, and I related to the struggle of wanting some Docs. By the time I get enough money, the pairs I want are usually sold out. I just have one issue. In your first paragraph you mentioned you had two interest, would teaching be the second?

17. Ziad

It’s Interesting how the harder is it to be able to obtain or afford something, the more we’re obsessed with the idea of having it. The ability to afford something you really want can give you the urge to buy it sometimes without considering how pricey it might be.

18. Christopher Mizhquiri

I liked how yo told the story truthfully, that you bought a pair of replicas because you couldnt afford it. And how the ending was a happy one after you began teaching you realized that you could afford one by now. Lastly the attention to detail as well.

19. Aninda Das

I really enjoyed this story it gives a description of how you took care of your shoes that you have now and used it and later on brought better ones i can relate to this story because at one point i also brought off branded shoes and used them to save money and time then when i began working at a job that gives more i brought much quality & expensive shoes