The beginning of the chapter “Truth & beauty” By Anna Patchett, describes her story with a lot of scenery, and descriptions. I enjoyed when Anna Patchett described her travel between Tennessee to Iowa because as a reader I can visualize myself being in a van all warmed up. Another part of the first chapter that I personally like is how Patchett introduces each character with a background. For example, she introduces her sister, Tina having different plans in life while Patchett plans to be a writer. As the chapter continues Patchett introduces a unique character called “Lucy”. I feel like this is the part that I’ve enjoyed reading the most because the author introduces Lucy as a unique person. Patchett explains lucy’s popularity in school, and how smart she was. However, she was a pretty shy person. From my perspective at first, Lucy had low self-esteem however, Patchett then includes lucy’s self-development when they both met at Iowa.

What I mostly like about Patchett’s work is that her title relates with her chapter ” truth and beauty” because Lucy is a beautiful person as her own. Even from the beginning, Patchett described Lucy as a smart talented person. Even though Lucy had some differences from other people. she treated her as the best. There’s a part in the chapter where Patchett mention’s how a student asked her “how can you look at her?” and how bothered she was with that question because Patchett never saw Lucy as people perceived her. That’s not the only thing that I liked about Patchett’s work, in the last text she mentions how Lucy met a boy and she believed that if she only had sex with a man it will make him love her. Which also demonstrates Lucy’s imperfections.